Automated Optical Registration System
The Elaboration and Design of an Automatic System for Recording and Processing the Optical Images of Gasdynamic Processes
Tech Area / Field
- INF-SIG/Sensors and Signal Processing/Information and Communications
- INS-MEA/Measuring Instruments/Instrumentation
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Glazova M B
Central Research Institute of Machine Building (TsNIIMash), Russia, Moscow reg., Korolev
- Institute of General Physics named after A.M. Prokhorov RAS, Russia, Moscow
- Pennsylvania State University / Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering, USA, PA, University Park\nCymer,Inc. , USA, CA, San Diego
Project summaryThe present project is intended to solve a topic scientific problem — enhancement of test techniques for gasdynamic process investigation, namely development of the optical-physical instrumentation. The development of new recording and quantitative analysis optical image techniques obtained during interference or shlieren visualization of gas medium non-uniformity permits to expand capabilities of noncontact diagnostics of processes studied in different fields of science and technology.
The main objective of the project is manufacture of the computerized system of recording and processing interference, schlieren or other types of patterns during gasdynamic process visualization in order to rise sensitivity and informativity of the optical measurement techniques which are used in this field.
Conventional techniques of image recording (photographic and television) used in optical-physical researches related to study of gasdynamic non-uniformity have some essential disadvantages. Record of schlieren and interference pictures at photo materials provides high characteristics of spatial resolution, but multistage process of chemical-photographic processing and necessity to use additional optical-electronic equipment for measurement of geometric and photometry parameters don’t permit to evaluate on-line information obtained during an experiment and to correct conditions of the latter in time.
The television recording systems used to capture gasdynamic phenomenon images have significant limitations at image quality obtained (low spatial resolution) and recording speed (low time resolution). The modern high speed videography instruments provide image recording at frequency up to 3000 frames/s but quality of obtained image is modest for detailed analysis. It is connected with low dynamic range of available CMOS receivers (complimentary "metal-oxide-semiconductor" structures) or small quantity of the effective light sensitive cells of CCD arrays (charge coupled device).
The progress in the field of development of the techniques and instrumentation for image recording is connected with manufacturing CCD with the large physical format and scientific quality arrays, CCD with multichannel parallel readout technology, the development of few receiver linking technology, the enhancement of the adaptive image readout techniques, fast precision readout techniques, image preliminary processing and quantitative analysis methods.
All participants of the project have accumulated a large experience in the development and application of the optical-physical techniques of the gasdynamic process characteristic measurements. They took part directly in elaboration and testing of the different types of interference and schlieren units for transparent non-uniformity visualization. The original algorithms for gasdynamic process schlieren and interference pattern analysis were developed by the project participants.
The project implementation will give the following results:
1). Multi-operating photoreceiver unit for recording images with required spatial and time resolution depending on parameters of examined process;
2). Light sources, which provide optimal operation of the measurement system;
3). Algorithms of the image preliminary processing and quantitative analysis, taking into consideration specific character of gasdynamic processes;
4). Test techniques and instrumentation for verification of the experimental data.
New techniques and instruments will be used in the different fields of applied research: experimental fluid dynamics, plasma physics, thermodynamics, meteorology. The project results will find wide application to control different technology processes in combustion engine design, mining engineering, ferrous and non-ferrous metallurgy, environment ecology monitoring also.
The following works should be made during the project implementation:
1. The model sample of the multioperating photoreceiver unit (PRU) should be elaborated and manufactured.
2. The selecting and creation of the light sources which provide optimal operation of measured equipment should be carried out.
3. The optical system for conjugation of PRU with visualization equipment should be elaborated and manufactured.
4. The metrology certification of the elaborated system should be implemented.
5. The algorithms and programs for image preliminary processing, quantitative analysis and experimental data adequacy testing should be developed.
6. The complex tests of elaborated system should be carried out at experimental gasdynamic facilities.
During project implementation the collaboration is planed with firms, which possess advanced technology in field of image receivers and light sources and agree to take part in the project as collaborators. The cooperation with foreign institutes (collaborators) includes
· information interchange during realization of the project;
· representation of the comments to the annual and final technical reports prepared by the participants of the projects in ISTC;
· cross checks of results received during realization of the project.
The successful solution of the topic project problems is based on the following technical approaches and methodology:
1. The spatial transformation of the work field of the visualization optical equipment.
2. Using of optical conjugated CCD arrays with large physical format and multi channel parallel readout unit.
3. Using of the adaptive operating of the video signal readout.
4. Using continuos, pulse or frequency-pulse light sources complex to provide versatile selection of the recording mode depending on prescribed task.
5. Using of the preliminary processing algorithms for synthesis of complete visualization field image and correction of the image distortion taking into consideration gasdynamic object specific parameters.
6. Development of image quantitative processing algorithms based on approximation of radial distribution on density with orthogonal polynomials and common approach to solve problems using interference and schlieren data.
7. Development of numerical techniques for synthesis of interference and schlieren patterns of gasdynamic process to verify the visualized process.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.