Tamper Indication System
Tamper Indicating Device Complex Development and Implementation within NM Protection, Control and Accountability System (MPC&A)
Tech Area / Field
- INF-SIG/Sensors and Signal Processing/Information and Communications
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Komarkov D A
VNIIEF, Russia, N. Novgorod reg., Sarov
- Sandia National Laboratories, USA, NM, Albuquerque
Project summaryWe propose to develop an upgraded sealing system, to manufacture adjusting sets, and to implement tamper indicating device (TID) complex of a new generation within VNIIEF Nuclear Material Control and Accountability System (MC&A).
TID is one of the essential components of the integrated NM safety and guarantee system, which is based on the “Multilevel protection“ strategy. A deliberate selection, combination and interaction of all the elements allow us to create such a system with a high level efficiency.
The newly developed sealing system comprises:
1. Tamper Indicating Devices - TID – ( active and passive intellectual micro-controlling devices of access control, fiber-light seals, built-in sealing devices, hinge looping seals with bar-code identification feature, indicator seals, power sealing devices );
2. Databases and accompanied software;
3. Technical - regulatory documentation ( standards, instructions, rules and etc.)
Used for decades at VNIIEF and MinAtom, the sealing system can’t fully meet current requirements on providing safety and guarantee and has some essential shortcomings:
· Low level of seal endurance to unauthorized actions;
· The necessity to have great number of sealing devices;
· Lack of unique identification features on seals;
· Labor – intensiveness and duration of inventory procedures.
In the process of project execution it is proposed to develop an up-to-date new sealing system and TID complex adapted to VNIIEF conditions and technologies. The work results will be spread over other RF MinAtom enterprises.
Within the framework of this project TID serial samples will be developed, manufactured and tested. Such TID will be unique and provide protection against unauthorized actions. TID samples should be compatible with the concrete objects (containers, equipment, storage facility doors, safes, utility and etc.) at VNIIEF.
In the process of the project execution we will develop TID databases, which will be included in the NM database, and software for these databases connection. During the software development we will solve the problems of personnel access to data and NM control and accountability information. Information safety and security will be provided.
For TID sealing system maintenance it is intended to develop an appropriate technical and operation documentation package (the manual), and also prepare regulatory documentation projects, which will allow to develop and progress the regulatory field on TID in RF MinAtom and also on automated identification means with the usage of bar coding.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.