The International Conference “Influence of global climate change on the ecosystem of arid and high mountainous zone of Central Asia”was held on May 22-24 2012, in Dushanbe, Tajikistan.
The International Conference was organized by the Physical Technical Institute named after S. U. Umarov of the Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Tajikistan, with the financial support of the International Science and Technology Center (ISTC), OJSC "Sistemavtomatika”, Association of Renewable Energy in Tajikistan, UNDP Tajikistan and the National Bank of Tajikistan.
The conference was focused on the following issues:
- Influence of global climate change on the ecosystem;
- Development of measures aimed at adaptation of living systems to climatic changes in Eurasia.
The conference program covered three major directions:
- The influence of anthropogenic and natural aerosol and gas pollution on the composition of the atmosphere;
- The influence of various environmental factors and global climate change on ecosystems of arid and high mountainous zone;
- Renewable energy and energy efficiency.
Presentations of the leading scientists from Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan on the climate change problems and research, focused on energy and food security, water resource regulation, including water quality and air were heard. Questions were discussed related to mitigation of risks, associated with the climate change and adaptation of living systems.
Keynote papers were presented at the conference on the results of the projects funded through the ISTC program "Restoration of the environment and mitigating climate change» № T-1688, T-1635, T-1082.3, T-1163, T-1892, 2757, 2770, 2773, 3032, 3715, 4028, 4079, Kr 330.2, Kr-763, Kr-1371.
The participants noted that the ISTC supported projects aimed at addressing the most pressing environmental problems associated with irreversible and the most dramatic consequences of environmental change.
Participants of the International Conference developed the following strategic directions for future activities, related to the conservation of environmental quality (air, water, and soil), preservation of biodiversity, mitigation of negative impacts of climate change, practical application of renewable energy resources:
1. Development of a monitoring system to estimate the condition of the environment and creation of a unified database for expanding ecology and biodiversity programs;
2. The use of innovative approaches to addressing energy and food security in order to mitigate the negative impacts of the climate change;
3. Establishment of a Central Asian Analytical Center in Tajikistan to meet international standards, with the assistance of specialists from the CIS, to assess the quality of the environment and to conduct an independent environmental expert assessment;
4. Development of integrated research projects to study issues related to degradation and rehabilitation of land, impact of climate change on glaciers and water resources, ecosystems and biodiversity, involving specialists in various fields of science;
5. The use of alternative renewable energy sources on the base of modern technologies.
Participants of the conference address the ISTC, asking to endorse and to support these areas and to provide financial assistance for their implementation.
Participants of the conference would like to thank the conference organizers for the high level event.
Publications: Conference Proceedings are available
To obtain the publication please contact:
Valentina Rudneva, ISTC, e- mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: + 7 495 982 3206
Dushanbe, Tajikistan,JSC System Automatic, 734024, Dushanbe, st. Drujba narodov,
tel. : (+99237)935050231, Fax: (99237) 221-10-01, e-mail:email@example.com ;
PhTI AS RT, Dushanbe, Tajikistan, 634 063, st. Aini 299/1,
tel. (99 237) 93-489-60-14, 918 177 390, Fax: (99 237)2221001e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.