A workshop “Efforts against Illicit Trafficking of Nuclear and Radiation Materials in Central Asia – Regional Priorities and Experience” was held on May 16-17, 2012 in Almaty, Kazakhstan.
A workshop “Efforts against Illicit Trafficking of Nuclear and Radiation Materials in Central Asia – Regional Priorities and Experience” under the Targeted Initiative on Scientific and Technical Support against the Illicit Trafficking of Nuclear and Radioactive Materials (NRM TI) was held on May 16-17, 2012 in Almaty, Kazakhstan. The Institute of Nuclear Physics, Almaty, Kazakhstan acted as host of this workshop. The scientists and officials came from Kazakhstan, the Kyrgyz Republic and Tajikistan.
The following items were discussed during the workshop:
- National efforts against illicit trafficking of nuclear and radiological materials;
- National experiences in nuclear forensics analysis or interdiction;
- Regional priorities in nuclear forensics;
- Regional needs in nuclear forensics in terms of training and other capacity building activities;
- Proposals for potential joint research and development projects or other collaboration.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.