Bifunctional, Moisture Saved Irrigative Equipment
Development of Bifunctional, Moisture Saved Irrigative Equipment and Relevant Manual Applied in Hot Climate and Compound Relief
Tech Area / Field
3 Approved without Funding
Kyrgyz-Russian Slavonic University, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, USA, CA, Livermore
Краткое описание проектаProject aims:
- Establishing of pilot model of moisture saved irrigative equipment and preparing of manual applied in joint cultivation of horticultural and forage crops based on constructive and operational integration of effective principles of sprinkling and drip irrigations.
- Conduct of training and practical workshops based on project results for farmers of Issyk-Kul region, agricultural specialists and students of agricultural faculties.
The Project is focused on development of equipment accessible for farmers that required solving irrigation problems in hot climate and limited water resources environment.
The main points of Project:
- design of simple module elements to be installed on irrigated site that provides operation of sprinkling and drip (bifunctional) irrigation equipment;
- arrangements of pilot production site (PPS) where designed irrigation equipment can be applied in jointed cultivation of horticultural and forage crops in submontan semi-deserts of Issyk-Kul region.
- the pilot production site will be basis for natural presentation of project results and training and practical workshops.
Actuality of project is concerned with necessity to solve problems of further promotion of agricultural production required relevant irrigation in dry and hot climate prevailed in Central Asia and other regions. The lack of accessible equipment caused reducing of cultivated agricultural area up to 7 % in Issyk-Kul region only. The same tendency in the west, south and south-west in Issyk-Kul region affects on widening of such areas, economic situation of rural population (over 320 thousands prs.) and main social base in region. Now the joint cultivation of horticultural and forage crops in Issyk-Kul farms occupying up to 1 hectare becomes popular due to necessity to increase its profitability.
At the same time the most accessible surface irrigation method is applied. Applying of this method is a low-effective due to natural environment of region (high temperature, limited water resources, inefficient soil influenced with water and wind erosion etc.)
As per existing technologies the best solution for irrigation of horticultural crops is the drip irrigation and overhead irrigation can be applied for forage crops accordingly. However, the standard equipment applied for above irrigation methods are not accessible for majority farmers due to its high price and manufacturing in foreign countries (outside of Central Asia). Besides a simple installation of above irrigation equipment for horticultural and forage crops on cultivated site would not provide a maximum economic effect. A joint cultivation required constructive and operational adaptation of irrigation equipment considering appropriate price and simple maintenance.
Therefore the Project participants proposed to design irrigation equipment that can be installed on irrigating site providing drip and sprinkling irrigations based on general constructive and hydraulic system where the main elements can be purchased and made in Central Asia region. Implementation of equipment on module base (set of same kind elements) will simplify further installation and operation in different areas including sites on mountainsides that are typical for viewed region. To work over above elements of equipment, irrigation system and manuals it’s necessary to establish pilot production site (PPS) that can be used for jointed cultivation of horticultural and forage crops.
PPS will be arranged in hard natural environment of submontan semi-deserts of Issyk-Kul region. It allows displaying all advantages of developed equipment both jointed cultivation of horticultural and forage crops and agricultural developing of semi-deserts in region.
PPS will be used as a training and demonstration base of project results for farmers, agricultural specialists and students of agricultural faculties.
There is no similar equipment combining similar functions and potential accessibility for farmers in Central Asia. It provides ecologically adapted regulation of soil humidity of irrigated site (including mountainsides) and microclimate over site that allows to reduce water application rate per crop unit and provides water resources economy as a basic factor of agricultural production in region.
The scientists and specialists of the Kyrgyz Republic involved in project implementation will be able to redirect their experience in weapon technologies’ development (53,7 % of the total man-days) due to their integration with international learned society focusing on encourage of regional and international problem solving in development of farming, combat territory desertification. Above aspects are in line with the main aims and activities of ISTC accordingly
The main outcomes of Project are:
- sample of functioning irrigation equipment;
- construction documentation for equipment;
- manual of equipment;
- up-to-date training and practical resource for raising the level of farmers and students’ skills;
- final report;
- preparing environment for equipment introduction and its manual.
Expected project results will allow to:
- extend the range of facilities and abilities for farming development;
- improve professional skills of farmers and agricultural specialists in region;
- improve professional educational background of students of agricultural faculties;
- effectively fight against land desertification through agricultural settling;
- reduce social density on regional level;
The Project results will be base for:
- arrangement of manufacturing of irrigation equipment and further application in region;
- commercial capacity and development of business partnership al all stakeholders.
Prospective contribution of foreign collaborators while project implementation:
- Information exchange;
- participation of technical review of project activities;
- conduct of jointed workshops;
- consulting in solving of some Project tasks.
While development of separate elements of equipment and irrigation technologies it proposed to monitor:
- consumption and forcing characteristics of drip water outlets;
- irrigation water consumption per crop unit;
- operational data of irrigation equipment;
The relevant methods and recommendations on applied laboratory and field researches will be applied in monitoring process.
The main criteria in selection of materials, accessories of irrigation equipment and operating characteristic will be accessibility, simple implementation, installation and maintenance.
As per project results it proposed to apply to invention, publish recommendations and several scientific articles.