Automated Ultrasonic Hyperthermia Complex
Development of an Ultrasonic Hyperthermia Automated Complex for the Treatment of Oncologic Diseases, Code "Piezo-Thermo-Ultrasound"
Tech Area / Field
- MED-DID/Diagnostics & Devices/Medicine
3 Approved without Funding
Rostov State University / Scientific Design and Technological Department "Piezopribor", Russia, Rostov reg., Rostov-on-Don
- State unitary enterprise "Hydrometallurgical factory", Russia, Stavropol reg., Lermontov\nGNC Academician N.N. Andreev Acoustic Institute, Russia, Moscow\nMoscow Scientific Research Institute of Precision Instruments, Russia, Moscow\nScientific Research Oncologic Institute, Russia, Rostov reg., Rostov-on-Don
- Kaiser Permanent Medical Center, USA, CA, San Diego\nUniversity of Texas, USA, TX, Houston
Краткое описание проектаThe basic problem of the project is the creation of a high-effective medical complex for hyperthermia (controllable heating) of malignant tumours and achievement of the significant medical effect in combination with the beam therapy and chemical therapy. The complex should be carried out using the modern means of computer facilities and should have the maximum degree of automation. With this the complex of fundamental and applied researches and technical developments in the purposes of peace should be conducted. In development of the given complex the scientists and the engineers (more than 50 per cent of common collective of the development engineers), connected with the development and manufacture of weapon and military equipment, should take part. Such statement of the problem answers the ISTC purposes completely.
The results of fulfilment of the work should have both technological, and commercial importance.
As a result of the work fulfilment:
– operating sample of a medical automated complex for hyperthermia of malignant tumours should be developed; with this such technological problems, as the development and manufacture of specialised phased arrays and systems of their excitation with the computer control, the development of the reliable contactless thermometry method and three-dimensional visualization method, development of optimum heating conditions in the hyperthermia process and a number of other technological problems are solved;
– clinical tests of the complex should be conducted and on their basis the medical specifications should be stated and the complex certification should be prepared;
– the offers for the work continuation in the part of the prototype output and the design documentation for the prototype for the organization of the small-lot output of the equipment should be developed.
The effect of the treatment by the hyperthermia method is based on the different thermal sensitivity of malignant and normal fabrics, and the increase of temperature is specially caused by the external factors with normal functioning of the human organism heat regulation system. With this the tumour temperature rises 5–7 °C in comparison with the temperature of environmental healthy fabrics.
Nowadays used in medicine, the local hyperthermia is carried out by means of the SHF or UHF equipment and has significant shortcomings in the form of insufficient localization of heating, harmful effect on the medical staff, etc. Ultrasonic hyperthermia removes all these shortcomings. First, it is not dangerous for the serving medical personnel; secondly, the use of phased arrays as the sources of ultrasonic radiation will allow to carry out local heating within the limits of the tumour with a high degree of accuracy and to scan a point of heating according to the given law; thirdly, the use of replaceable specialised heads will allow to create a universal complex, intended for various kinds of tumours; fourthly, the problem of the constant exact control of the heating temperature, probably, by means of the contactless thermometry can be solved.
When creating the medical complex of the ultrasonic hyperthermia the complicated fhysico-technical and technological problems of the creation and optimization of high-effective piezoelectric transducers and phased arrays of special designs, as well as the problem of the maximum and effective application of modern personal computer opportunities should be solved when controlling the medical process and processing the information, being stored. The development of the special control software is accordingly required.
Methodologically the work will be carried out by means of:
– the creation of a number of specialised checkers for a different medical localizations, that is the ultrasonic radiating phased;
– the parameters and the characteristics of arrays are calculated by the phase synthesis methods;
– the multichannel phased excitation system of radiating arrays will work both in radiopulse, and in continuous radiation modes;
– structurally the checkers, that is the phased arrays, are made in the form of special designs on the basis of the experience, available in SDTD “Piezopribor” in creation of similar designs;
– the thermometry system is being created on the basis of development, conducted in the Acoustic Institute of RF Academy of Sciences;
– three-dimensional visualization system, combined with the radiating checkers, is carried out on the basis of the developments, conducted in the Scientific Research Institute of Precision Instruments.