Ultra High-Speed Devices
Ultra High-Speed Devices and Microcircuits Based on A3-B5 Semiconductor Compounds Resistant to Cosmic Radiation Factors
Tech Area / Field
- MAN-OTH/Other/Manufacturing Technology
3 Approved without Funding
Moscow Institute of Radioengineering and Electronics, Russia, Moscow
- MIFI, Russia, Moscow
Краткое описание проектаThis project is devoted to the development of technology for ultra high frequency devices and ultra high-speed integrated circuits (IC's) hardened to the ionizing space radiation, which are dedicated to operate on the board of spacecrafts.
Theoretical and experimental research has shown that A3B5-semiconductor compounds, such as GaAs and heterosructures on its basis (AlGaAs, InGaAs and others) can be very prospective for these applications.
The following investigations should be performed during this project:
1. Development of the device and IC-technology based on quantum-size heterostructures of A3B5-semiconductor compounds (with different sizes of devices, different dopant concentration, and principle of operation: LM-HEMT, P-HEMT, metamorphic (MM) HEMT's, and resonant tunneling devices).
2. Analysis of the dominant device degradation mechanisms in various space radiation environments, including the single ions as well as the high-energy electrons and protons.
3. Experimental investigation of the radiation effects induced in devices in modeling installations and simulation tests.
4. Development of the theoretical models of radiation induced degradation of the devices based on А3В5- nanostructure and heterostructures under space radiation.
5. Development of the methods increasing the AsBs-nanostructure devices radiation hardness.
As a result of the project various ultra high frequency devices (low noise and high power transistors) and ultra high speed ICs (such as logic gates, multiplexers, SRAM, analog-to-digital converters, and some others) will be developed for the operation in the following environments:
- high energy protons with total dose up to 3ґ106 rad(GaAs);
- high energy electrons with total doses up to 107 rad(GaAs);
- absence of single event upsets for heavy ions with linear energy transfer up to 5 MeV/(cm2 mg)
The bandwidth of these devices (for the receiving and transmitting systems) will be up to 18-35 GHz. The digital ICs will operate at clock frequency up to 1-5 Ghz.
Potential Role of Foreign Collaborators
The role of foreign collaborators is the project expertise and research of the A3B3-compounds space radiation hardened devices developed within the project. After research and tests completed it is planned to work out the commercial proposals on application of scientific and engineering results of the project.