Development and Creation of a Working Model of Waste-Free Energy-Sufficient Farm, Based on Use of Biogas Technology
Tech Area / Field
- BIO-IND/Industrial Biotechnology/Biotechnology
- BIO-SFS/Biosafety and BioSecurity/Biotechnology
- ENV-APC/Air Pollution and Control/Environment
- ENV-EHS/Environmental Health and Safety/Environment
- ENV-WPC/Water Pollution and Control/Environment
- MAN-PDM/Plant Design and Maintenance/Manufacturing Technology
- NNE-EPP/Electric Power Production/Non-Nuclear Energy
- NNE-FUE/Fuels/Non-Nuclear Energy
- NNE-OTH/Other/Non-Nuclear Energy
3 Approved without Funding
Limited liability company “Orion”, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
- Public Fund “Fluid”, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek\nAssociation of small and medium-sized farms “Farmer”, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
- Eco ltd, UK, London\nSwedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, Uppsala\nMBM Group / International Migration and Development Center, Germany, Frankfurt am Main
Краткое описание проектаGoal of the project is to develop and implement a model of waste-free energy-independent farm though research, development and implementation of plants and system of operation that would provide for the full cycle of processing and utilization of organic waste for growing and realization of organic production, and to further disseminate such technologies in CIS countries for reduction of methane emissions into the atmosphere, preventing land and water resource pollution with organic waste, production of biofertilizer and biogas and their efficient utilization for covering the needs of rural population which would lead to poverty reduction through providing energy sustainability and efficiency of the agricultural sector.
Research background: at the moment technology of utilization of manure by processing it in biogas plants is already well developed and accumulated practical experience allows to make the following conclusions:
- wide dissemination of biogas technology for utilization of organic waste will lead to reduction of environmental damage that is caused by open storage of manure and it’s application to fields as a fertilizer;
- application of products of processing of organic waste in biogas plants will allow to satisfy energy needs of rural population and to increase land fertility, as well as productivity of animal husbandry, which will lead to poverty reduction and development of agricultural sector.
Influence of proposed project on the progress in the research area: development and demonstration of proposed waste-free farm model and plants will create a positive example and widen opportunities for dissemination of biogas technology in the Kyrgyz Republic and CIS countries. Publication of research results and manuals on construction and operation of the plants, creation of Biogas technology school and interactive communication space for exchange of information and practical experience in form of internet site will create a base for development of scientific and practical cooperation in the field of biogas technology. Creation of a service centre that will develop technical plans and projects of plants, as well as provide parts and servicing of biogas and other plants will provide the necessary technical support for dissemination of biogas technology in the CIS countries.
Competence of project participants in research area: “Orion” LLC and PF “Fluid” have the most extensive experience in construction and operation of biogas plants for utilizing organic waste in the CIS countries, proved by built and operated plants in the Kyrgyz Republic, Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan, publication of manuals and articles, seminars and active participation in lobbying legislation regulating waste utilization and development of renewable energy sources for sustainable development, as well as by participation in various projects on dissemination of biogas technologies in the KR. Association “Farmer” has experience in operation of biogas plant with digester volume of 150 m3 and using products – biogas for household energy needs and fuelling cars, and biofertilizer for increasing yields of agricultural crops.
Expected results and their application:
- Equipment: Planned research will lead to development of optimal constructions of biogas plants, plants for producing electricity from biogas, plant for granulating biofertilizer (for convenience of storage and transportation) and plant for producing carbon dioxide from biogas.
- Demonstration model of waste-free energy-independent farm: Project will develop, test and demonstrate a model and system of operation of waste-free and energy-sufficient farm with minimal dependence on external energy supply. Production cycle of the farm will include livestock breeding and field crop cultivation, processing and sale of livestock and crop products, utilization of produced waste and production of biogas and biofertilizer that will be used in production cycle and in satisfying household and production needs in energy and fertilizers.
- Publications: Results of planned research will be published in form of articles, and upon completion of the project in form of practical manuals that would contain all developed constructions, farm model and system of it’s operation, as well application of biogas and biofertilizer. Articles and manuals will be published in Russian and English and distributed in science community and practitioners and institutes involved in utilization of organic waste for facilitation of discussions and experience exchange.
- Biogas technology school: School will offer seminars and study courses on construction and operation of biogas plants and other developed plants, on creation and operation of waste-free energy-sufficient farms, including efficient and sustainable methods of field crop and livestock production.
- Interactive communication space in internet: Interactive communication space will be created on the basis of the website of PF “Fluid” which is already widely known as a source of reliable and practical information on biogas technology. A bigger internet site with databases containing all available information in Russian and English about received research results and construction of plants will be gathered and provided to visitors, who will be able to make new contacts with specialists is the field of biogas technology and receive answers to pressing practical question. There will be a database of all projects that involve biogas technology, clean development mechanisms and emission trading.
- Service Center: Service center will develop inpidual plant and waste-free farm projects, provide parts for biogas and other plants and render technical services.
- Scientific production base: Scientific production base of Association “Farmer” will include express laboratory for conducting constant field research and will provide opportunities for practical demonstration of developed waste-free farm model and application of efficient agricultural methods.
Contribution to ISTC goals: Project is developed and will be implemented by weapon specialists, and is directed at attainment of environmental sustainability and reduction of poverty level through renewable energy production by developing equipment and technology as well as conducting applied research. Results of research and developed constructions will be disseminated among theoretical and practical specialists of the CIS countries and will lay the foundation for cooperation in the field of research and dissemination of biogas technology through creation of a Biogas technology school that will support interactive communication space for exchange of research results and practical experience. Service center will provide developed technical projects of plants and waste-free farms, as well as provide necessary parts and technical support for existing plants.
Planned activities: The following activities will be undertaken during the project:
- Collection and systematization of information about implementation of biogas technology for utilization of organic wastes, including waste water and slaughterhouse wastes;
- practical research of different temperature regimes and constructions of biogas plants, needed for receiving best results in processing different types of organic wastes in conditions of CIS countries for producing biogas and biofertilizer;
- construction of plant for producing carbon dioxide from biogas;
- construction of plant for granulation of biofertilizer;
- conducting research on influence of different types of input materials widely distributed in CIS countries on produced biogas and biofertilizer, determination of optimal temperature and duration of processing these input materials and their mixtures;
- conducting research of qualities and influence of application of biofertilizer on quality of soil, crop capacity and animals;
- conducting research of quality of biogas and it’s application in household appliances, for production of electricity and carbon dioxide;
- preparation of publication and provision of research results to scientific and agricultural communities and decision makers;
- creation of Biogas technology school for providing education and research in field of biogas technology and sustainable agriculture methods in general;
- creation of interactive communication space for exchange of international experience and research results in field of biogas technology in form of internet site supported by Biogas technology school;
- creation of service centre for developing projects of biogas and other plants for waste-free farms of CIS countries, production of plant parts and technical support of plants.
Foreign collaborators’ role: Foreign collaborators will participate in development of research methods and hypothesis for the project, will provide information on results of already conducted research for subsequent checks for conditions of CIS countries and will receive full results of research, conducted during the project, as well as will assist in disseminating results of the project and received information in scientific community and other circles of society.
Technical approach and methodology: The approach used in the project is to use waste types, equipment and materials widely spread on the territory of CIS countries to ensure cost minimization of constructing and operating biogas and other plants and to provide for wider dissemination of the waste-free farm model. Planned research will also be directed at practical application of the results in rural areas and will take into account integrated approach to farming, which will allow to develop a working model of a waste-free energy-independent farm, later to be disseminated in form of a practical manual that will facilitate independent implementation of the model and technology.