Nanomaterials Based on Oxides of Rare Earth Elements
Search for New Nanomaterials Based of Oxides of Rare Earth Elements with Intermediate Valence
Tech Area / Field
- CHE-THE/Physical and Theoretical Chemistry/Chemistry
- ENV-EHS/Environmental Health and Safety/Environment
- PHY-PLS/Plasma Physics/Physics
3 Approved without Funding
Institute of Chemistry named after V.I.Nikitin, Academy of Sciences, Republic of Tajikistan, Tajikistan, Dushanbe
- The University of Alabama / Center for Green Manufacturing, USA, AL, Tuscaloosa
Краткое описание проектаRecently, there has been extensive interest and research in the field of nano-powder of metal oxides. Such oxides can be used as catalysts in various processes, in energy storage devices, as data storage for magnetic media, in transducers, as ferrofluid, and in medicine, to name a few. A few of the currently active fields of interest in nano-particles of rare-earth element (REE) oxides include:
- Cerium, gadolinium, and praseodymium oxides for use in manufacture of high-conductivity solid electrolytes (Ce0,8Gd0,2O1,9) and oxygen electrodes with high electrochemical activity (PrO2,5, CeO2-σ).
- Oxides of neodymium, europium, and terbium for medical diagnostics technologies.
- Cerium oxide for improvement of some catalytic properties including steam conversion of methanol and dimethyl ether(CuO-CeO2 – Al2O3).
The synthesis of many of these nano materials has started with cerium oxide, however, the role of other rare-earth element oxides and their solid solutions have not been generally investigated. Intermediate valence (IV) and valence instability (in compounds of REE this is a deviation from the stable trivalent state) have been shown to provide some interesting and unique properties. We believe that crystal- chemical approaches, that are based on the basic properties of given structure which depend on structure and valence can be used to determine and optimize the materials properties of such materials, including new nano-materials.
By understanding and combining the effects of variable valences of transitions metals and intermediate REEs and the inpidual metal ion coordination numbers and geometry, REEs of various sizes and a valence conditions can be used to generate new classes of nano-materials.
The overall objective of this project is to discover new nano-materials bases on rare-earth element oxides with intermediate valence, study their physical properties, and develop new applications for these materials.
To meet this goal, the following tasks will be undertaken:
- REE oxides with intermediate valence will be prepared in nano-sizes by mechanical alloying and dust plasma processing. For example, of vanadium and manganese oxides will be used to prepare solid solutions with REEs.
- Nano-powders of thermoelectric compounds Yb-Mn-Sb, Yb-Mn-Bi, Eu-Mn-Sb, Eu-Mn-Bi will be prepared from precursors of various bulk compositions of the oxides.
- Chemical methods will also be developed to prepare complex compounds of REE oxides with oxides of transitional metals.
- The physicochemical properties of new nano-materials will be studied and potential applications assessed.
- Toxicological-hygienic assessments of all newly synthesized nano-materials will be studied to assess their possible use in medicine.
State of Research in Institute of Chemistry:
- A review has been prepared of the area and equipment has been developed for synthesis of ultradisperse (nano) powders of REE oxides by the dust plasma method.
- A review has been prepared of environmental problems of nano-technologies and nano-materials in medicine and the corresponding equipment needs for such work.
Influence of the proposed Project on progress in the area:
In this connection, the synthesis and development of new nano-materials on the basis of rare- earth element oxides with intermediate valence will have both scientific and practical value.
The competence of project participants of the specified area.
The project will be carried in Institute of Chemistry by V.I.Nikitina AS of Republic of Tajikistan,where for more than 40 years they are engaged in synthesis, reception of powders and crystals of new compounds of rare earth elements and plasmochemistry, pharmacological researches of the synthesized substances. The research supervisor of the project professor, Dr. Abdusalyamova M. is an authority in the field of rare-earth elements chemistry. She has published more than 300 research papers and 3 monographers:M.N.Abdusalyamova, O.I.Rachmatov.“Preparation and Investigation of RE pnictides at the Institute of Chemistry of Tajik Academy of Sciences. Part II. Elements, 1998, April v.7,N4, p.6. M.N.Abdusalyamova. Antimonides and Bismuthides of rare-earth elements. Publ. Nauka, 1983,55p.
Professors I.Normatov, A.Shermatov and others are experts in the field of plasmochemistry and worked in project Т-2901 (ISTC) on reception of nano-structural carbon-bearing materials for cathodoluminescences lamps. They had published more than 100 publications in this sphere:
- "Production of aluminum particles in Hydrogen environments and theirs stabilization by organic compounds", I.Sh. Normatov, M.T. Idiev, VI Intern. Conf.
- "Hydrogen Scl. and chem.. Metal Hydrogen". Katsively. 1999 p.47.
- "Preparation of polycomponent catalyst by used of coals and natural zealots", I.Sh. Normatov,, N. Shermatov, O.S. Bokiev, II Intern. Conf. an Inorg. Materials. Santa-Barbara, USA. 2000 p.324
- "Preparation of Benzene-stabilized Aluminum Nanoparticles in Hydrogen atmosphere", I.Sh. Normatov,, N. Shermatov, R.N. Imomov, Inog. Mat. 2001. V.37. №10. p.1002-1005.
- V.V. Sokolov, Yu.M. Zelenin, A.P.Zubareva, L.I. Osadchaya, Yu.A. Stonoga, L.N. Trushnikova, I.Yu. Filatova. Application of Lithium Hydride in Synthesis of Low-dimensional Powder Materials. X APAM topical seminar and III conference materials of Siberia “Nanoscience and Technology. Proc. June 2-6, 2003, Novosibirsk, Russia, p. 431-432.Professors, Dr. medical sciences, K.H.Haidarov, Rahimov I.F. are eminent scientists in this area. They had worked in the project №1420 ISTC and have many publications:
- Rahimov I.F.: « About pharmacological properties and toxicity of bicyclic compounds of various sulfur classes », Dushanbe, 113p.
Expected Results and Their Application. As a result of the work implementation there will be received new nano-materials, which can be applied as laser materials, as luminescent materials, as magnetic materials, as new catalysts,, as materials for use in high-temperature electrochemical devices, as thermoemission materials as high-temperature thermoelectric materials for telecommunications, as magnetic nano-particles for diagnostics in medicine..
Project correspondence to ISTC goals.
Scientists (more than 60 %) who earlier have been engaged in development of rocket materials and technologies within the limits of the State programs of the USSR will assist in the project implementation. Implementation of the project will give opportunities of their activity reorientation on peace researches and provide them with workplaces.
During the project implementation previous contacts with leading Science Centers of the Europe, the USA, Japan that are engaged with researches in the field of chemistry and physics of rare-earth elements, plasmochemistry will be adjusted and continued. It will promote integration of scientists of Tajikistan into the international scientific community.
Role of Foreign Collaborators/Partners
Forms of collaboration with foreign collaborators:
- Joined researches
- Transmission of samples for study
- Interchange of information in the process of project implementation
- Joined working seminars, consultations.
- Execution of joined publications
- Partnership in received materials commercialize
Technical Approach and Methodology. For reception of nano-sized rare-earth elements oxides with intermediate valence and their compositions with other oxides there will be used SHF-plasma installation, supplied by doser for submission of components in the form of pair and a solid phase. Mechanical alloying will be done in ball planetary mill Fritsch P-7. Screening researches of new nanomaterials will be carried out under the following scheme:Definition of the general action and sharp toxicity. Studying of materials influence on the central nervous system, on cardio-smooth musculature, on vascular system, on blood morphology, on blood sugar at al.