Synthesis, characterization, toxicity of new graphene-like nanomaterials
Technology processes production graphene-like nanostructure and related composities with different functional properties: synthesis, characterization, toxicity
Tech Area / Field
- CHE-THE/Physical and Theoretical Chemistry/Chemistry
- ENV-EHS/Environmental Health and Safety/Environment
- PHY-PLS/Plasma Physics/Physics
3 Approved without Funding
Institute of Chemistry named after V.I.Nikitin, Academy of Sciences, Republic of Tajikistan, Tajikistan, Dushanbe
- MER Corporation, USA, AZ, Tucson
Краткое описание проектаNanostructural materials are new direction of creation and development of functional materials with unique properties, which cannot be formed spontaneously in usual natural conditions. It opens new possibilities in the development of electronics, optics, catalysis, biotechnology, medicine. Materials on the graphene base attracts now a great attention because of a great specific surface, unique electrical, thermal and mechanical properties that lead to many potentional applications. Among various applications,biomedical, for the creation of the electrodes for supercapacitors, gas sensors, as catalyst supports and absorbents of different gases. But the absence of techniques of synthesis of required big quantities of graphene materials restricts greatly their use. However development of technology and applications graphene and graphene like materials can activate unexpected effects concerning toxical properties of these reagents. These functions of nano-materials still remain an open question For this reason, the development of effective methods of synthesis of nanosized metal oxides with graphene and nanosized metal oxides and reduced graphene oxide, full characterization of their chemical properties, phase contents, study of their dispersion a dependence of synthesis conditions and thermal treatment and development of composites on their base is a very attractive task. Toxicity will be also studied.
The main aim of the project will be development of synthesis methodes of graphene-like nanostructures and fabrication of the related composites and study of their chemical, physical properties as well toxicity relative to human, animal and environment.
To reach the goal of the Project the following tasks will be solved:
1. Graphite oxide and related highly dispersed carbon nanomaterials will be synthesized using modified Hummers method and characterized.
2. Graphene-like nanostructures will be synthesized by the reduction of graphite and graphene oxides and catalytic pyrolysis of hydrocarbons and characterized.
3. Creation metal-graphene and oxide-graphene and oxide-graphene using rare earth metals and their oxides.
4. New composite materials will be fabricated; their properties will be studied.
5. Toxicological-hygienic assessments of all newly synthesized graphene-like nanomaterials will be studied to assess their possible use in medicine
State of Research in Institute of Chemistry:
● work experience gained and synthesis methods developed in nano-sized rare-earth and transition metal oxides as well as carbon nanomaterials.● laboratory equipment has been built to fabricate composites based on highly dispersed carbon materials.● properties and applications of so called 3D graphene foam have been reviewed.● The metodics of investigation toxicity of nanomaterials have been put.
Influence of the proposed Project on progress in the area.
●Nano-meter scale can impart novel properties to the matter. Due to this reason nanomaterials are employed in various fields, including medicine, electronics, aerospace, etc.
●Graphene has already demonstrated high potential to impact most areas of electronic information technology, ranging from top end high performance applications in ultrafast information processing, to consumer applications using transparent or flexible electronic structures.
● among various applications, biomedical applications of graphene have attracted ever-interesting interest.
●Therefore, the synthesis and study of new grapheme-like structures will have both scientific and practical importance. The study of toxcical properties of graphene and new graphene-like structures will open possibilities of these materials applications accout of toxicical effect minimazion relative to human, animals and environment.
The competence of project participants of the specified area.
The project will be carried in Institute of Chemistry by V.I.Nikitina AS of Republic of Tajikistan ,where for more than 40 years they are engaged in synthesis, reception of powders and crystals of new compounds of rare earth elements and preparation and investigation nano oxides REE.
1.Manager of project, Dr Abdullaev Kh. is a prominent scientist in X-ray examination of nano-polymeric compounds and has more than 100 articles in this field. He participated in ISTC projects Т-1414, Т-1597, Т1882.
2.Research project leader, Prof.Dr. M.N. Abdusalyamova, is an authority in the field of chemistry of rare earth and transition metals. She has published more than 300 scientific articles and three monographs:1.Volodin A.A., Fursikov P.V., Shulga Yu.M., Khodos I.I., Abdusaljamova M.N., Tarasov B.P. Composites of lanthan oxides with carbon nanomaterials. Alternative energetics and ecology, № 12. pp. 41-49, Abdusalyamova, M. N., F. A. Makhmudov, E. N. Shairmardanov, I. D. Kovalev, P. V. Fursikov, I. I. Khodos, and Y. M. Shulga. 2014. “Structural features of nanocrystalline holmium oxide prepared by the thermal decomposition of organic precursors.” Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 2014, v.601,p.31-37 .She participated in ISTC projects:Т-1597,Т-1598, Т-1882, T-2067
3. Dr. medical sciences,professors K.H.Haidarov, Rahimov I.F. are eminent scientists in this area. They had worked in the project №1420, T-1882 ISTC and have many publications: M.N.Abdusalyamova, I.F.Rakhimov, K.Khaidarov, A.Sidirov, E.Shaimardanov, F.Makhmudov,Souhail R. AL-Abed, Syntesis of Nanostructed erbium oxides and investigation of influence oxides on the immuli system and some annual tissues" Journal Chemistry and Chemical Engineering. 2014, v.8, N5, p.66-71.
Expected results and their application.
As a result of the work implementation there will be received new nano-materials, which can be applied as laser materials, as luminescent materials, as new catalysts,, as new nano-sorbents, as magnetic nano-particles for diagnostics in medicine.
Project correspondence to ISTC goals.
Scientists (more than 50 %) who earlier have been engaged in development of rocket materials and technologies within the limits of the State programs of the USSR will assist in the project implementation. Implementation of the project will give opportunities of their activity reorientation on peace researches and provide them with workplaces.During the project implementation previous contacts with leading Science Centers of the Europe, the USA, Japan that are engaged with researches in the field of nano-technologies will be adjusted and continued. It will promote integration of scientists of Tajikistan into the international scientific community and introduction of modern techniques in industry of Tajikistan.
Role of Foreign Collaborators/Partners
Forms of collaboration with foreign collaborators: Joined researches Transmission of samples for study
Interchange of information in the process of project implementation Joined working seminars, consultations. Execution of joined publications Partnership in received materials commercialize
Technical Approach and Methodology
Graphene nanostructures will be synthesized by the thermal or chemical reduction of graphite oxide using hydrazine as a reducing agent, or sodium borohydride, as well as by the catalytic pyrolysis of hydrocarbons on the surface of metal substrates Co, Ni or Cu. Pharmacological researches will be undertaken in pharmacology laboratories of institute of chemistry of TAS which is the center of screening research of new chemical compounds.