Frozen Wooly Mammoth
Paleontological, Histological and Microbiological Studies of Frozen Wooly Mammoth Carcasses
Tech Area / Field
- BIO-CGM/Cytology, Genetics and Molecular Biology/Biotechnology
- INF-COM/High Performance Computing and Networking/Information and Communications
- OBS-GEO/Geology/Other Basic Sciences
3 Approved without Funding
Zoological Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences, Russia, St Petersburg
- State Research Center of Virology and Biotechnology VECTOR, Russia, Novosibirsk reg., Koltsovo\nInstitute of Applied Ecology, Russia, Sakha (Yakutiya), Yakutsk
- Institute for High Dimensional Medical Imaging, Japan, Tokyo\nProvincial Museum of Alberta, Canada, AB, Edmonton
Краткое описание проектаAnatomical and functional analysis of organ and muscles system of frozen wooly mammoth carcass. And this research project emphasizes the soft tissue of paleontological material of extinct mammals. In paleontology wooly mammoths were researched with their bone materials these 200 years. And this kind of academic research has rarely been done both in view of its purpose and research methodology before.
1. To start with the above analysis, after the survey of the discovered carcass, the position of the mammoth buried in the permafrost will be studied by three-dimensional ground-penetrating radar and ultrasonic tomography.
2. Experiment of three-dimensional reconstruction of bones, muscles, organ systems etc. by using X-Ray CT scanner and reconstruct whole body three-dimensional anatomy and, estimation of functional matters in four-dimensional phenomenon such as cardiac functions.
3. Create overall pictures of the wooly mammoth based on the research data, identify exercise function by comparing with extant elephants, clarify patterns of behavior of living body.
4. Furthermore, research microstructures of the wooly mammoth by detailed autopsy based on the three-dimensional distribution including sampling soft tissue and DNA analysis.