Dangerous Micro-organisms Destruction
Method Development and Pilot Installation Creation for Destroying of Especially Dangerous Forms of Micro-organisms
Tech Area / Field
- BIO-SFS/Biosafety and BioSecurity/Biotechnology
- ENV-RED/Remediation and Decontamination/Environment
3 Approved without Funding
VNIIEF, Russia, N. Novgorod reg., Sarov
- Russian Scientific Center of Applied Chemistry, Russia, St Petersburg
- Children's Hospital Division of Infectious Diseases, USA, MA, Boston\nHeinrich Heine Universität Düsseldorf / Institut fur Mikrobiologie, Germany, Düsseldorf\nPolyclinique Maymard/Service de Cancerologie Medicale et de Radiotherapie, France, Bastia\nUniversity of Turku / Finnish-Russian Joint Biotechnology Laboratory, Finland, Turku
Краткое описание проекта
Goal: The project implies development, complex testing and creation of a pilot device for destroying specially hazardous forms of pathogenic micro-organisms in fluid media (for instance, midair and water) by irradiation with powerful short pulse with the broad optical spectrum, including ultraviolet (UV) and infrared (IR) ranges. The effect of sharp inactivation growth accompanied by the increased irradiating power over 10 kWt/cm2, as well as synergism under simultaneous effects of different radiation spectral ranges can be used as a new, efficient and environmentally-friendly method for destroying specially hazardous pathogenic micro-organisms. These micro-organisms are hardly destroyed by other methods. The proposed method will allow to decide some public health and environmental problems.
Project execution will result in development, creation and testing of a laboratory model of the device containing several bactericidal irradiators, providing ~105W/cm2 power density of disinfecting radiation. Its physical and technical characteristics will be studied and biologic tests for disinfection of airy (fluid) media will be done. With the results of the laboratory model tests taken into account the trial sample of disinfecting device will be developed, manufactured and biologically tested. Biologic tests will be done by the team of the Distinguished Scientist of the Russian Federation, academician and Medical Doctor Yafayev Raul Khasanyanovitch.
Technical approach: The Project Proposal under consideration is based on the method and the device used to disinfect fluid media, covered by the patent . The original xenon tube-shaped pulsed lamp will be used as the disinfecting element. The lamp is capable of irradiating ~150 J energy at 17,5 kV voltage with 10 Hz frequency with water coolant provided. The lamp had been successfully tested for inactivation effectiveness with culture medium (E.coli) involved. The reliable procedure of controlling the lamp discharge providing operation of several lamps in pulsed-periodic mode with 10-7 synchronisation will be used to develop the laboratory model and the test sample. The last circumstance is specially important to obtain high densities of radiation power and non-linear disinfecting effects.
Expected results: The Project will result in:
- development, fabrication and testing of a laboratory model device to destroy specially Hazardous pathogenic micro-organisms in fluid media (for instance, midair and water). The device will use the method of irradiation of micro-organisms in pulsed-periodic mode by high power density pulses in broad optical spectrum, including ultraviolet (UV) and infrared (IR) ranges, and the non-linear effects of disinfection. This will allow to introduce a new, efficient and environmentally-friendly method todestroy specially hazardous pathogenic micro-organisms, hardly destroyable by other methods.
Commercial significance: The commercial profitableness of the Project is due to implementation of the program aiming at creation of a trial sample of the device complying with the goals of the Project as the basis for development and serial production of the devices destroying morfibic micro-organisms, hardly destroyable by other methods.
Scientific results achieved by the Project executors will be offered for scientific press.
Compliance with ISTC goals: Project implementation will provide engagement of high-qualified personnel involved into weapon design by allocating their scientific-technical talent in the perspective efforts. The Project will also support the perspective scientific and applied research and technologic peaceful developments.