Wide Aperture Plasma Accelerator
Development of wide aperture plasma accelerator with a low-flow rate of gas for technical purposes.
Tech Area / Field
- MAT-SYN/Materials Synthesis and Processing/Materials
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Karabashev S G
Kurchatov Research Center, Russia, Moscow
- VNIIEF, Russia, N. Novgorod reg., Sarov
- Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe Technik und Umwelt / Institut für Neutronenphysik und Reaktortechnik, Germany, Karlsruhe
- CNRS / Ecole Polytechnique, France, Palaiseau
Project summaryProjects goal - to develop a pilot sample of plasma acce-lerator on the base of unique electric rocket engines which will possess the parameters optical for certain technological processes
– ion energy in a beam 50 - 1000 eV
– ion current 0.1 - 10 A
– ion current density processing 1 - 100 mA/cm2
– uniformity over 150 mm wide band 3%.
The accelerator under design in referred to the class of sta-tionary plasma accelerators with a closed electron drift and an extended acceleration zone. It seems promising to be employed in instrument- and machine-building, metallurgy, optics and other industries for plasma cleaning of various surfaces, for applica-tion of various films made of the sprayed target materials and for fabrication of then surface structures in electronics.
These accelerators are characterized by the following advantage in the technological procedures:
- high rate of material etching (Ni - 2 nm/s, Ge - 6 nm/s, Si - 2 nm/s, Al - 4 nm/s);
- production of small-scale figures of some micron fractions on the surface;
- precision processing of glass (amorphous) surfaces at 10-2 – 10-3 m accuracy;
- operation regimes of low-level effect formation in the processed material.
Mainly, the accelerator under development differs from the si-milar devices in a substantial (by several times) reduction of the warning gas consumption that will allow to locate it at the standard technological facilities for ion-plasma processing of the articles which are, as a rule, equipped with low-efficient vacuum pumps-it several thousands of the facilities currently operating in Russian industries are modernized via their equipment with high-efficient devices for plasma processing of the products, then it will increase the productivity and the quality of the products as well as in some cases it will allow to close environmentally harm-ful chemical technologies, chemical procedures of surface cleaning and etching.