Feed and Food Additives
Development of Feed Additives on the Basis of Spirulina Microalgae Biomass and Experimental Technology of their Production. Development of Immunocorrector Preparation for Medical Application and Laboratory Technology of its Production
Tech Area / Field
- AGR-FOD/Food & Nutrition/Agriculture
- MED-DRG/Drug Discovery/Medicine
- BIO-IND/Industrial Biotechnology/Biotechnology
3 Approved without Funding
JSC Biochimmash, Russia, Moscow
Project summaryAt present the problem of production of ecologically dean, plant, biologically active preparations is extremely urgent. From this side, the production of biological synthesis products with the application of ecologically clean non-waste technologies is the most prospective.
Modern development of photobiotechnology opens wide prospective on the application of microalgae biomass in order to solve important economic problems. Numerous studies of scientists on the application of Clorella and Scenedesmus biomass in feeding of agricultural animals and poultry showed, that dense cellulose cell envelopes of Clorella impede the process of digestion and assimilability of feeds.
Spirulina microalgae has no dense cell envelope; it is more technological in comparison with other strains of microalgae. There is some information in literature on the application of Spirulina as feed additive, but this problem is not studied completely. Today there are no preparations from Spirulina biomass that could be applied as feed additive. Therefore taking into account biochemical composition of Spirulina biomass, its technologicity and possibility of its growing in artificial conditions, the organization of experimental bay on the production of Spirulina biomass and development of preparations for the application as feed additive to agricultural animals and poultry is rather prospective.
Scientists of "Biochimmash" worked with different strains of microalgae during 10 years. As a result of this work, the most technological strain of microalgae was obtained and patented (in 1994). Laboratory studies of biochemical composition showed that biomass contains 63,6 % of protein, 10% of carbohydrates, up to 8 % of lipids, 70 % of which are phospholipids: it is rich with essential amino acids and with series of В group vitamins (Bl, B2, B6, B12), tocopherol, ascorbic add, microelements.
Taking into account unique composition of biomass, a series of trials on animals were provided on the application of biomass as feed additive. Since while using biomass in poultry, the increase of live mass of poultry has been increasing in 12 - 15%, egg-laying ability - in 10 -16 %, safety... in 4 -5%, hatchings of chickens - in 3 - 5 % at saving of feeds in 6 – 10 %. Application of preparation (of Spirulina biomass) in fur-farming has provided high efficiency of animals growing, increase of live mass of animals in 10 - 12 %, increase of useful area of furs - in 8 - 10 %. The quality of fells has been improved. Obtained results show that Spirulina biomass is efficient while using it into feed of animal and poultry as biologically active additive.
Due to this it is expedient to expand laboratory trials and to organize experimental bay on Spirulina biomass production and development of the preparation applying as biologically active feed additive.
In Russia there is no production of Spirulina biomass. Therefore, for large-scale trials it is expedient to organize experimental bay on growing of Spirulina, advertising.
In JSC "Biochimmash" the qualified personnel is available to provide the full scope of works.
Due to bioenergic activity and valuable biochemical activity, biomass of Spirulina can be applied as food additive in food of people. So, in Japan, Mexico, biomass of Spirulina is used as obligatory food additive to increase physical and mental ability. Therefore, especially today at unfavorable ecological situation, it is necessary and urgent to develop a technology of production of ecologically clean, biologically active food additive.
Besides, Spirulina biomass can be used for development of medical preparation. Biochemical composition of Spirulina biomass and availability of rare pigments that are formed as a result of photosynthesis in algae cells gives a possibility to develop new drugs.
Objective of the project proposed
Development of preparations of feed and food additive on the basis of Spirulina microalgae biomass and experimental technology of their production. Development of the preparation -immunocorrector for the application in medicine (including oncology) and lab-scale technology of its production.
Main goals lit order to solve the problem mentioned:
- organization of the experimental bay on production of Spirulina biomass (100 kg/year), development of feasibility study, licensing of the production;
- development of marketable forms of the preparation from Spirulina biomass, feed additive for animals, poultry and fur-bearing animals;
- development of marketable forms of the preparation from Spirulina biomass, food additive in ration of people;
- production of medical preparation from Spirulina biomass - immunocorrector, and development of different marketable forms (injections, tablets, capsules).
For the first time, there will be developed plant biologically active preparations from Spirulina biomass, recommended for application as food additive in nutrition ration of people and animals and a preparation of medical purpose - immunocorrector.
Expected results of the project
In the course of work the results of commercial value will be obtained:
- plant, biologically active protein - vitamin feed preparation from Spirulina biomass for animal-breeding, poultry-farming, fur-farming and veterinary;
- plant, biologically active, protein - vitamin preparations from Spirulina biomass, used as food additive in nutrition ration of people of different marketable forms;
- preparation of medical purpose - immunocorrector of different marketable form.
Technical approach and methodology
In order to solve problems set in the project it is planned to use a complex of modem research methods:
- in laboratory conditions extraction and purification will be performed by means of liquid cliromatography;
- in experimental production conditions the extraction of active substance will be performed with the application of modern membrane technologies.