Laser system of biotransformation and biodestruction
The Development of Laser Systems of Biotransformation and Biodestruction for Production of New Substances and Creation of Highly Effective Methods of Biological Purification
Tech Area / Field
- PHY-OPL/Optics and Lasers/Physics
3 Approved without Funding
NPO Astrophysica, Russia, Moscow
- Research Institute for Protein Biosynthesis Investigation, Russia, Moscow\nMoscow State University, Russia, Moscow
- Bowling Green State University / Department of Chemistry, USA, OH, Bowling Green\nUniversity of Wyoming / Department of Molecular Biology, USA, WY, Laramie\nUniversité de Lausanne, Switzerland, Lausanne\nForschungszentrum fur Medizintechnik und Biotechnologie e.V., Germany, Bad Langensalza
Project summaryThe aim of the present project is a development and research of new methods of biotransformation and biodegradation with use of microorganisms (bacteria, yeast, microalga and their consortia) under a combined treatment of photochemical and biological processes, induced by laser UV and visible radiation, aimed at biotransformation, realization of biological cleanup and neutralization of stable organic pollution.
The laser photochemistry, photobiology and medicine has gained a recognition for the last decades due to detected possibilities in the field of control of chemical and photochemical reactions, biological processes and in medical therapy. As applied to the objects of biotechnology, as one of the most growing branches of practical realization of advanced achievements of science and engineering, until recently was tested rather broad spectrum of laser methods, first of all for research purposes. In particular, it was shown that visible laser radiation is capable to stimulate processes of microbial growth and biosynthesis. Usually in this case the matter concerns stimulation of the processes of metabolism under low intensive laser light. Under a high intensive radiation, especially UV-range, usually one deals with injuring effect of radiation on biological structures such as processes of photochemical and biological destruction, mutagenic effects, and also processes of intracellular reparation induced by those effects. The combination of stimulation of biological processes with effects of biodestruction could be a base for development of new methods for biotransformation and biodestruction of organic substances and solution of biotechnological and environmental problems.
The development of laser-induced processes of biotransformation and biodegradation during performance of the project will be based on a wide cooperation of the experts in the field of the laser equipment (SSC SUE "SPA Astrophysica"), controlled cultivation of microorganisms and photobiology (Moscow State University, SRI "GosNIIsintezbelok", experts attracted as private persons).
During performance of the project it is planned to solve the following tasks:
1. Development of lasers with changing irradiation wavelength from UV- to visible range of spectrum, with variable output power and opportunity of frequency modulations for irradiation of microorganisms during their cultivation in laboratory with full cycle of selection: on dishes, in flasks and photobioreactor.
2. Development of an optical system for delivery of the laser radiation to the microbiological object in conditions of surface and submerged cultivation.
3. Development of the laboratory laser-bioreactor unit for investigation of irradiation conditions effects on the biological processes.
4. Obtaining of microorganisms or their consortia adapted to action of the laser radiation and capable more actively to keep microbiological transformation and destruction of resistant organic compounds, in particular, phenols, polychlorinated biphenyls, ion exchange resins.
5. Research on autoselection process under UV- and visible range laser radiation with monocultures of microorganisms and their consortia and destruction of aromatic compounds (phenols, polychlorinated biphenyls, ion exchange resins, synthetic polymeric materials) in model systems of biological treatment.
6. Study on laser-induced changes (spectral, morphological, physiological, biochemical, genetic) in autoselected strains.
7. Research on light stress processes in microorganisms and stress-induced processes of bioreparation in connection with an opportunity to obtain highly effective biodestructors of aromatic compounds.
8. Determination of an opportunity to obtain cultures of microorganisms (yeast as example) with the high content of antioxidizing enzymes (superoxide-dismutase, peroxidase, catalase) under light stress conditions and connected radical processes.
Approbation of the processes of biotransformation and biodegradation of concentrated pollutants in fed batch regime of cultivation in model systems using the biological agents adapted to action of laser UV-light.