Radiation Characteristics of MOX Fuel
Investigation of the Radiation in Nuclear Fuel Cycle Based on Reprocessed Uranium and Mixed Uranium-Plutonium Fuel.
Tech Area / Field
- FIR-FUE/Reactor Fuels and Fuel Engineering/Fission Reactors
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Tyurin I A
All-Russian Scientific Research Institute of Non-Organic Materials named after A. Bochvar, Russia, Moscow
- Kurchatov Research Center, Russia, Moscow
- British Nuclear Fuels Ltd (BNFL), UK, Chesire, Risley Warrington\nEuropean Commission / Joint Research Center / Institute for Transuranium Elements, Germany, Karlsruhe\nCOGEMA, France, Velizy
Project summaryThe purpose of the project is to analyse the influence of new types of fuel on the radiation conditions in the fuel cycle plants. The fuels to be considered are reprocessed uraniui and uranium-Plutonium mixed fuel. It is planned:
- to carry out calculations of hazardous nuclides accumulation in the various types of fuel;
- to consider the processes of the pellets, fuel elements and assemblies production and reprocessing of spent fuel and to carry out the calculations of radiation fields;
- to carry out the comparative analysis of the change of radiation conditions.
The variants of fuel compositions on the basis of the uranium regenerated from the spent fuel of UUER-44G and UUER-1000 will be considered as the raw materials for RBMK-1000, UUER-440 and UUER-1000 neu fuel production. Besides that four variants of uranium-plutonium mixed fuel on the basis of power-generating and weapon plutonium will be considered for UUER-1000.
The results of this work will be stated in a final report containing the results of the calculations and the analysis of change of radiation conditions.
The scientific and practical significance of the project consists in new data concerning of radiation safety in fuel cycle during the usage of new types of fuel.
From the point of view of the development of economical and ecological rational ways of the spent fuel and weapon plutoniua utilization the project is interesting for the international cooperation.