Persistent Organic Contaminants of Soils at Kyrgyz Republic
Remediation of Soil Contaminated by Persistent Organic Contaminants at Kyrgyz Republic
Tech Area / Field
- BIO-IND/Industrial Biotechnology/Biotechnology
- CHE-SAS/Safety and Security/Chemistry
- ENV-EHS/Environmental Health and Safety/Environment
- ENV-RED/Remediation and Decontamination/Environment
3 Approved without Funding
Department of Chemicalization, Protection and Quarantine of Plant, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
- JSC Biochimmash, Russia, Moscow
- Obihiro University of Agriculture & Veterinary Medicine, Japan, Obihiro\nInternational HCH & Pesticides Association, Denmark, Holte
Project summaryAnalysis of the volumes of the delivery and application of pesticides in Kyrgyzstan and the inspection of agricultural land soils showed that actual problems caused by keeping persistent organic contaminants (POC) and their negative effect on the environment required urgent solution for the provision of ecological safety of the region. Today development of the technology for the regeneration (recultivation) of soils at Kyrgyz Republic is an urgent problem because contaminated with the forbidden pesticides soils (soils where POC-pesticides were used, agricultural aviation air grounds and sites of their location, former storages of pesticides) are used for the growing different agricultures. In framework of completed ISTC project KR-886 the inventory (expeditionary inspection) of the contents of the storages and disposal sites of POC was performed. In case of reveal of unusable or forbidden pesticides the detailed inventory of the contents of depositaries and storages was carried out; inventory acts were processed; and pesticides samples for analysis, toxicological characteristics and development of utilization methods were selected. Results of performed inventory given in final technical report on the ISTC project KR-886 showed that the concentration of the forbidden chlorine-organic pesticides around non-operating storehouses or former sites of their storage could exceed hygienic norms in hundred times.
Decontamination of soils from pesticides namely POC is the mostly difficult case of disposal from waste contained into soils. Of the current methods of soil decontamination such as separation of pesticides from the soil and direct treatment of soil, the latter is more acceptable because of economic and geographic position of the specific sites contaminated with pesticides. For the decontamination of small plots of the soil contaminated with pesticides, low-cost technologies are preferable, based on the application of different biological processes. Microbiological detoxification methods are cheaper, than physical and chemical methods, technically easy and more effective and ecological.
The objective of the proposed project is to develop biotechnology of remediation (recultivation) of soil at Kyrgyzstan Republic contaminated by forbidden and unfit to use in agriculture pesticides in order to exclude the danger of further environmental contamination and subsequent use of the decontaminated soils in agriculture for the growing different cultures.
In order to attain this goal, the following tasks should be solved:
- Inspection of the soils on model sites in the places of old storehouses and storages of pesticides, dumps and agricultural aviation grounding lands with the aim of the assessment of morphological, physicochemical and biological properties of soil. Creation of data base on the obtained soil characteristics. Sampling will be performed by the method approved by Ministry of Agriculture of Kyrgyz Republic on the proposed model sites (Each site is typical by contamination for the zone):
- Storehouse JSC “Kantselkhozkhimia” is located on the territory of JSC “MTS” (Machine-Testing Station) Isyk-Atinsky district, town Kant (arable land).
- Storehouse of Balykchinsky interregional corporation “Kyrgyzselkhozkhimia” located on the lake Issyk-Kul, Balykchi sity (urban territory).
- Aviation landing ground on the territory of rural administration “Zhoosh”, Karasuisky district of Oshsky region (arable land).
One of the main results of the proposed project will be the creation of cartogram of the contamination by POC of the soil sites examined at Kyrgyz Republic with the plotted sites of the contamination, types of contaminants and their averagely-statistical concentration in soil on the basis of the performed physicochemical and biological studies. Additionally, the development of technology for regeneration of contaminated soil using microbial formulations on the base of microorganisms-destructors of pesticides will be proposed.