Development of an Intelligent Composite Material with Piezoelectric Properties
Tech Area / Field
- PHY-STM/Structural Mechanics/Physics
3 Approved without Funding
MGTU (Moscow State Technical University), Russia, Moscow
- Obninsk Scientific - Production Corporation Technology, Russia, Kaluga reg., Obninsk\nVNIIEF, Russia, N. Novgorod reg., Sarov
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University / College of Engineering, USA, VA, Blacksburg
Project summaryProject’s urgency. Creation of perspective intelligent composite materials is a global scientific and technical problem. Intelligent material in essence is a synthesis of a material itself (as a rule, composite) and a specialized informational - measuring system, control system and hi-performance computers supplied with appropriate software. Sensory elements (in state of fiber, stratum, plate, etc.) converse physically measured value to other value, suitable for consequent conversion, for example, in an electric signal. Active elements, also produced as stratums, filling materials, plates, etc. converse one exposure (usually electromagnetic) to another, for example, mechanical. Sensors and actuators are essential components of an intelligent material. With the help of these materials it’s possible to manage self-diagnostic of the structure, control its geometric shape, meanly change its parameters for purpose of its adaptation to variable exterior thermo-mechanical effects, damp oscillations. Intelligent composite materials are claimed by the development of the contemporary engineering. In the long term they will find broad application in avia-, shipbuilding, motor industry, medical engineering, instrument making, etc.
One of possible directions of making intelligent composites consists of application of materials with piezoelectric properties in a combination to fibrous laminated composites. Currently piezomaterials (ceramics, polymer compounds, films, etc.) are widely applied in instrument making. The considerable experience of design and manufacture of piezoelectric, structural elements, accumulated in this branch of engineering, can be effectively used in the development of intelligent composites.
Project’s purpose. The purpose of the present project is the development of a laminated composite material with the piezoelectric elements, intended for manufacture of sensing and executive structural elements. To achieve this aim it is necessary:
- to develop mathematical models of calculation of mechanical and electrophysical performances of composites with piezoelectric properties;
- to investigate elastic, strength and electrophysical properties of the modern piezoelectric materials (piezoceramic, piezofilms), planned for manufacture of sensory and active components of composite structures;
- to develop manufacturing laboratory technology of laminated composites with piezoelectric components;
- to make laboratory specimens of a laminated composites with piezoelectric components;
- to develop experimental research procedures of mechanical and electrophysical properties of the new composites;
- to develop recommendations on new composite application in different branches of engineering.
The competence of participants of the project. Participations of the project have long-term experience of a research work in the field of calculation, design and technology of elements of composite constructions, materials technology, development and manufacture of sensing elements of sensors from piezomaterial. Within three last decades BMSTU carries out research works in the field of mechanics of composite structures. Technological and design departments of RFNC-VNIIEF have wide experience of calculation, design and manufacture of piezomaterial sensors' elements. FSUE «ORPE “Technology”» is one of the main Russian producers of elements of structures from composite materials for air and space engineering.
Expected outcomes. The present project concerns to a category of applied researches in which the complex of theoretical, experimental and technological examinations should be made. It is supposed, that as a result of its fulfilment following results will be achieved:
- Theoretical foundations of calculation of mechanical and electrophysical performances of laminated composites with piezoelectric components;
- Computational algorithms and computer programs for a numerical analysis of mechanical and electrophysical performances of composites with sensory and active piezoelectric components;
- Experimental research procedures of mechanical and electrophysical properties of composites with piezoelectric components;
- Technological methods of manufacture of composites with piezoelectric components in laboratory conditions;
- Laboratory specimens of composite materials with particular mechanical and electrophysical properties;
- Databank for the used materials, containing mechanical and electrophysical performances, a chemical compound and other information.
Correspondence to ISTC purposes. Fulfillment of the present project will submit scientists and the experts occupied in development of modern weapon, to use gained experience and knowledge for the solution of a peaceful, urgent technological problem - development of intelligent composite materials. Besides air and space engineering of civil assigning these materials can be used at making medical inventory, in instrument making for manufacture of sensory instrumentation and optic-electronic devices. The solution of the indicated problem will promote adjustment and strengthening of connections of the Russian scientists with scientists of other countries, their further integration into international scientific community.
The role of foreign colaborator of the project consists of information interchange about a course of project conduction, discussing scientific outcomes, reviewing scientific reports, realization of joint working seminars, preparation of joint publications.
Amount of work and engineering approaches. During project realization the complex of problems of materials technology, technology of composites, mechanics of composites, experimental research techniques should be solved. At solving the problem of materials technology the main attention will be given to selection of base materials, i.e. materials on the basis of which the piezocomposite will be designed. The most perspective materials for piezoelectric components are piezoceramics and piezofilms. Carbon fiber reinforced plastics (CFRP) are preferable among structural composites. Technology development of obtaining piezocompozite includes selection of a mode of overlapping of base materials according to their mechanical, electrophysical and chemical properties, design and manufacture of a necessary equipment, definition of technological conditions and operational sequences, development of a quality monitoring of created materials. Material specimens of particular sizes will be manufactured with the help of a designed technology.
The main purpose of a theoretical part of the present project consists of a preliminary quantitative assessment of mechanical and electrophysical properties of created materials. For development of mathematical model the modern approaches of mechanics of composite materials will be used. Computational procedures for the analysis of electrophysical properties will be designed on the basis of equations of the theory of an electroelasticity. When solving specific targets it is planned to apply both analytical, and numerical methods, for example, a finite element method.
Existing normative and technical documents on methods of an experimental research of piezomaterials were designed for small-sized homogeneous piezoelectric samples. To the full they cannot be applied on developed laminated piezocomposites. For the foundation of procedures of experimental definition of electrophysical properties preliminary theoretical examinations will be made. For this purpose development of the appropriate mathematical models and the software is planned in the project. The experimental equipment for examination of mechanical and electrophysical properties of materials is basically present at the order of research groups of organizations - participants.