Recycling of Automobile Tires
Design of Pressure Destruction Technology for Processing Waste Automobile Tires with Metal Cord and Development of New Composite Polymeric Materials with the Use of Products of Tire Processing.
Tech Area / Field
- NNE-OTH/Other/Non-Nuclear Energy
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Kondratenkov Yu B
NPO Cord-Ex, Russia, Perm reg., Perm
- Techma International, Inc., USA, CO, Northglenn\nAllied Industries of California, USA, CA, Burbank
Project summaryThe advanced project is aimed at the solution of ecological problem of world importance - the design of pressure destruction technology of processing waste automobile tyres with metal cord as well as at the development of a wide range of new composite polymeric materials with the use of rubber crumb (processing product) as a filler, the materials having high thermal insulating and water-proofing properties and serviceable in a wide temperature range in aggressive and chemical media.
Within the scope of the present project there will be designed technology for production of active carbon and liquid boiler fuel from rubber crumb.
In its essence this method is based on the fenomenon of rubber fluidization which takes place at a high hydrostatic pressure and on the outflow through the holes of a special chamber. During this process rubber and textile cord are separated from metal cord and bead rings, crushed and discharged through the holes in the form a primary rubber-textile crumb. Metal cord remains in the chamber and is removed from it in the form of a pressed briquette. After that the obtained crumb passes the stages of separation and additional crushing. The designed method has been tested on laboratory specimens and full-scale tyres. However before carring out project works on designing technological equipment it is necessary to pursue experimental and theoretical study of main mechanisms of extrusion crushing, to determine optimum parameters of the main equipment components, and operating conditions of processing.
The second part of the project - development of new polymeric materials with the use of products of waste tyres processing (rubber crumb) - is of no less importance. These filled polymer materials will provide controllable properties ensuring their serviceability in a wide temperature range in the presence of physical and chemical aggressive media.
Implementation of the project will result in the following:
- study of the main mechanisms of tyres extrusion crushing;
- analysis of different parameters of the main crusher components and selection of their optimum characteristics;
- design of technology for tyre processing ;
- provision of practical recommendations for developing working drawings of the equipment for waste tyres processing line;
- working out of the methodology for development of highly-filled polymeric materials;
- development of new composite materials with the use of rubber crumb on the base of thermoplastic and thermosetting polymers having high frost resistance and low liability to abrasion, serviceable in a wide temperature range and resistance to gaseous and chemically aggressive media;
- design of commercial technology for production of activated carbon with the use of liquid and gaseous products of rubber crumb pyrolysis;
- elaboration technological regulations and issue of specifications for the materials developed.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.