Natural Focuses of Avian Flu
Epidemiological Monitoring of Avian Flu Virus Circulation in the Nature, an Estimation of Biological Danger of the Pestholes in Kyrgyz Republic
Tech Area / Field
- MED-DIS/Disease Surveillance/Medicine
- AGR-DIS/Disease Surveillance/Agriculture
- BIO-CGM/Cytology, Genetics and Molecular Biology/Biotechnology
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Weaver L M
State Sanitary Epidemiological Supervision Department, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
- Institute of Biology and Pedology, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek\nKyrgyz Agrarian University, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
- Atlantic Veterinary College, University of Prince Edward Island, Canada, PE, Charlottetown\nForeign Affairs Canada, Canada, ON, Ottawa\nNaval Medical Research Center / US Naval Medical Unit 3, USA, MD, Silver Spring
Project summaryThe aim of the project: Epidemiological monitoring of circulation of avian flu virus in the nature, an estimation of biological danger of the foci of disease in Kyrgyz Republic
The migratory way connecting places of nesting birds in Western Siberia, Altai and Kazakhstan passes through the territory of Kyrgyzstan with places of wintering in India, Pakistan and Africa. More than 250 kinds of birds migrates in total through territory of Kyrgyzstan, from them about 130 kinds are ecologically connected with water-marsh places, among them 30 kinds of water-marsh birds are the mass migrants often contacting to people and pets.All this creates favorable conditions for avian flu virus circulation between kinds and infections of pets. There are many domestic birds on reservoirs; therefore the risk of their infection is high enough.
It is supposed to establish a role of wild migrating birds (mainly connected with water-marsh places) in avian flu virus circulation in territory of the Kyrgyz Republic during realization of the given project. Territories where the risk of avian flu transfer from wild birds to pets is high will be established. By the results of concentration places of migrating birds and areas of the high risk of pets infection the research the map will be prepared by the avian flu results.
It is supposed the organization of expeditions for these purposes on territory of republic during spring and autumn migrations of birds when the probability of imported virus from bordering territories is highest.
The selection of the biotests from 300-400 wild birds for the further analysis during each expedition is supposed. Samples from tracheas and cloacas will be selected. It is supposed to survey 2000-2500 birds in total.
Virulogical, serological and molecular-genetic researches on flu are conducted in laboratories, with use of the modern labware for PCR diagnostics. Definition of nucleotide genomes sequences of field samples and collection of strain viruses, comparison of received nucleotide sequences of strain genomes of various origins is planned.
According to input priorities of the project the following tasks are specified:
- The organization of epizootological, molecular-genetic and virulogical researches of avian flu in natural reservoirs
- Studying of migration ways and territorial connections of migrating birds
- The molecular-genetic characteristic of avian flu viruses circulating in natural reservoirs
- Monitoring of avian flu virus circulation among a wild waterfowl and an estimation of the natural focuses activity
- Development of recommendations on reduction of avian flu virus distribution risk in Kyrgyzstan