Missiles Conversion Technology
Research the Development of Optimal Technology for Preparation and Launch of Commercial Flight Vehicles by Converted Submarine-Launched Ballistic Missiles Using Russian Ranges
Tech Area / Field
- SAT-UNM/Unmanned Spacecraft/Space, Aircraft and Surface Transportation
3 Approved without Funding
Makeyev Design Bureau of State Rocket Center, Russia, Chelyabinsk reg., Miass
- NIIA (Automatics), Russia, Sverdlovsk reg., Ekaterinburg\nResearch Institute of Space Instrument Making, Russia, Moscow\nMoscow Power Engineering Institute, Russia, Moscow\nNPO Measuring Equipment, Russia, Moscow reg., Korolev
Project summaryThe objective of this project is to make a research in order to develop an optimal technology of preparation and launch of recoverable vehicles, the appearance of which is to be determined within the framework of ISTC Project # 190/95, by RSM-40 and RSM-50 SLBMs, which are being decommissioned, using Russian ranges at a launch rate of no less than 3 per year.
Between 1991...95, launches of commercial scientific/technological recoverable vehicles MEDUZA, SPRINT, VOLAN with the use of Russian ranges have been performed. Technical capabilities of the ranges and range instrumentation complexes do not completely meet inpidual requirements of commercial scientific/technological vehicles in each specific case (temperature/moisture and barometric regimes, electronic equipment capability, etc.) at ground operations, in-flight telemetry data acquisition and post-flight analysis. Each launch of a recoverable vehicle requires developing an inpidual set of technological tooling and maintenance devices or modifying available ones. Besides, the equipment available at the ranges provides only recording of the results of an experiment, but it does not allow to conduct a real-time monitoring of experiment flow introducing necessary corrections in the process of it onboard a spacecraft when in flight.
The development of an optimal preparation and launch technology includes the creation of program/organizational documentation, data devices and handling equipment, software/mathematical support, increasing the level of services by additional equipment of the ranges with mobile information/instrumentation and support equipment, which permits:
- to provide launch and post-flight maintenance of the recoverable vehicle carrying scientific/technological equipment at high level and within short period of time;
- to control scientific/technological experiment flow in flight;
- to obtain data amount required by Customer;
- to get an optimal downrange deployment of instrumentation equipment through mobile means;
- to get an automated process of obtaining, processing, output and submission of information to Customer.
Project realization will permit to determine an optimal technology of recoverable vehicle preparation and launch and to have considerably broader service opportunities in the course of implementing a long term program of launching commercial vehicles from Russian ranges at a launch rate of no less than 3 per year.
Scientific project manager is Igor Ivanovich Velichko, Doctor of Tech. Sc., Constructor General, State Rocket Center "Makeyev Design Bureau".
Project manager is Vladimir Nikolayevich Rudin, Candidate of Tech. Sc., Department Head, State Rocket Center "Makeyev Design Bureau".
1. State Rocket Center "Makeyev Design Bureau", Miass, Chelyabinskaya Oblast.
2. Scientific/Production Corporation of Measuring Equipment, Kaliningrad, Moskovskaya Oblast.
3. OKB of Moscow Energy Institute, Moscow.
4. Scientific Production Automatics Association, Yekaterinburg.
5. Russian Research Institute of Space Instrument-Making, Moscow.
The duration of the Project makes up 18 months.
Total Estimated Cost of the Project is US $464000.
The Project will be accomplished using the assets of enterprises participating in the Project.