Software for Chemical Accidents Monitoring
Development the Methodology, Informational Support and Software for Risk analyses in Chemical-Engineering Installations.
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-MRA/Modelling and Risk Assessment/Environment
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Urezchenko V M
State Research Institute of Organic Chemistry and Technology, Russia, Moscow
- European Commission / Joint Research Center / Institute for Systems, Informatics and Safety, Italy, Ispra\nInstituto de Soldadura e Qualidade, Portugal, Porto Salvo
Project summaryFor a long time in the former USSR environmental impacts caused by the technical progress were not generally taken into account. Due to low level of operational and processing discipline and inefficient safety-assurance system for industrial plants, the accident level in Russian industry is great. Many regions of
Country are declared as a zone of the ecological disaster.
Because of great areas Russia represents a danger for all world community that was confirmed by the UN Conference (July 1992, Rio de Janeiro) on Environment and Development,
Up to the present time, main provisions of the risk-analysis methodology still undeveloped for chemical engineering installations in Russia: no any domestic book, or a guide providing such methodology is available. Necessary Standard Operational Specifications is absent. The matter is bad concerning the programs for chemical safety and ecological tasks.
Project Goal is to develop the methodology, interconnected PC- program system, and informational databases in order to:
- simulate dangerous events, which lead to a leakage of toxicchemical substances* in chemical engineering installations under either normal operational modes, and accidental conditions;
- prognose behaviour of toxic substances in the environment;
- forecast damage (risk) of toxic substances effect on the personnel, habitant and environment.
As presumed, an overall risk assessment must take account not only of acute toxic lethal injuries of the personnel, but also less-severity and delayed-effect health impacts. However, some consequences of toxic chemical substances effect on other biological objects will be also considered. It's planned to:
- create a catalogue of typical accidents scenarios;
- work out the risk-analysis methodology for combined accidents (leakages with fires and explosions);
- construct algorithms and methods for an accidental consequence analysis based on the latest achievements in the simulation of chemical engineering processes;
- modernize frequency-analysis methods including the existent Russian developments;
- concretize a methodology for risk calculation at the normal operation mode and any accidental event;
- create a metodology for the increase of risk forecastingprecision under sufficient deficiency and indeterminacy of initial data;
- work out a methodological guide for accidental and systematic risk analyses in chemical engineering installations;
- develop the interconnected software for a great variety of the tasks related to the simulation of the chemical accidents progression, for the analysis of their consequences and the quantification of various types of accidental risk along with the systematic risk taking into account the specific features of the Russian Federation;
- create and fill specialized informational databases necessary for accidental and systematic risk analyses;
- simulate dangerous events in concrete chemical engineering installations of the Russian Federation - on organic substances production plants in Dzerjinsk and Volgograd.
The methodological guide, system of interconnected programs for risk analyses along with created informational databases, which are working out in this Project, will form the scientific basis for:
- development of Standard Operational Specifications for the ecological expertise and chemical engineering installations 1 ic.ensi.ng;
- classification and certification of toxical chemical substances, major equipment and chemical engineering installations,
- development an information support system for decision-making in extreme situations;
- creation an ecological monitoring system.
Such developments will form the basis of the PC-based risk-analyzing expert system on the Project completion which will be of practical significance.