Photo-sensitive polymer composites
Development of Technology for Photo-Curing Polymer Glue Compositions Synthesis
Tech Area / Field
- CHE-POL/Polymer Chemistry/Chemistry
3 Approved without Funding
Institute of Polymer Glues "GIPK", Armenia, Vanadzor
- Institute for Advanced Technology, USA, CA, Glendale
Project summaryPhoto-curing epoxy compositions (PhCEC) are largely used in the production of electronic devices and printing forms. The development of modern progressive and ecologically harmless technologies in these fields make urgent the need for search of new composition materials with improved exploitation characteristics, reliability and durability.
One of the possible solutions of this problem is the application of new, previously not used in the processes of photo-curing epoxy olygomers, which contain heteroatoms /Si, N, Al/ and heterocycles in the main chain, combining with modifying additives. As modifying additives it is suggested to use recently synthesised epoxy-imids of colophony, as well as their co-polymers with acrylic compounds. As a new, ecologically harmless and more progressive technology it is suggested to apply the method for PhCEC obtaining using supercritical liquids (SCL), which will allow to exclude toxic solvents from their composition.
The tasks of the proposed project’s work are:
- Investigation of the possibility to apply epoxide olygomers in PhCEC, which contain heteroatoms (Si, N, Al) and heterocycles in the main chain, that will allow to exclude the stage of substrates treatment with silicon-organic dressing agents;
- Investigation of the possibility to apply as thermal curing agents the khelate compounds of copper and iron with fluorine-substituted diiminates, that will allow to increase the curing degree of compositions;
- Investigation of the possibility to obtain PhCEC by applying supercritical (SC) liquids as solvents, that will allow to exclude toxic solvents from their composition, as well as to exclude the stage of compositions drying;
- Investigation of the influence of modifying additives (recently synthesised epoxy-imides of colophony and their co-polymers with unsaturated compounds )on PhCEC properties;
- Comparative investigation of PhCEC properties, obtained by applying new components that were not being used for these purposes till now;
- Investigation of the possibility to apply khelate compounds of copper and iron with fluorine-substituted diiminates as thermal curing agents, that will allow to increase curing density.
Expected results are:
- Obtaining new PhCEC, which have improved physico-chemical and mechanical characteristics:
a) achievement of PhCEC adhesive strength to different substrates no less than 12 MPa
b) cohesion strength of film rupture at the thickness 10-100m no less than 10 MPa
c) low shrinkage in the temperature range 20-100o C (no more than 0,5%)
d) increase of resolution of cured compositions by 10-15%
e) reduce of thermal curing temperature of PhCEC to 80o C;
f) increase stability to ultrasound (220 kHz) vibrations;
g) stability to inks used in ink jet printers (9 weeks at 60o C)
- Depending on rheological characteristics and photo-properties of the obtained compositions, they could be applied as resists, as well as adhesive coatings in the production of electronic technics.
- Development of new and more clean in ecological aspect process of photo-polymerisation of epoxy adhesives (EA), that exclude the use of toxic solvents, as well as the stage of drying of compositions by applying supercritical (SC) liquids as solvents;
Development of competitive and patent-clean PhCEC
Accomplishment of purposes and objectives of ISTC
Implementation of this project will allow to accomplish the following purposes and objectives of ISTC
- Reorientation of scientists of “GIPK”, who previously were involved in weaponry, to the solution of peaceful problems,
- Integration of “GIPK” scientists into the international community of scientists and specialists and renovation of contacts with scientific centres of CIS,
- Do some work toward improving the ecological safety of environment,
- Use results of the work in commercial purposes.
The scope of work within this project propose:
- Literature and patent review and selection of the direction of investigations;
- Theoretical basing of the process of PhCEC compounding with the purpose to receive compositions with given properties;
- conducting experimental works to develop PhCEC, optimisation of compositions;
- Comprehensive investigation of physico-chemical and physico-mechanical properties of the compositions by contemporary methods of investigation (IR-, UV-, NMR-, electronic spectroscopy, mass-spectrometry).
Technical approach and methodology:
Creation of compositions with a complex of required physico-chemical, physico-mechanical and exploitation properties is suggested to implement by applying the following technical approaches:
- creation of compositions’ basis as an optimal blend of mono-, di- and multi-functional epoxy olygomers, that ensure optimal curing density, elasticity, required rheological characteristics;
- introduction of heteroatoms (Si, N, Al) and heterocycles in the main chain of epoxy-olygomers to exclude application of dressing agents;
- modification of epoxy adhesives by epoxyimids of colophony and their co-polymers with unsaturated compounds to improve physico-mechanical and exploitation properties;
- investigation of the possibility of compositions’ synthesis in the environment of supercritical (SC) liquids according to the relevant methodology.
The mentioned approaches are implemented by the following methods:
- selection of the initial materials, substances and the components being synthesised. Their identification (IR-, NMR-, UV-, mass-spectral analysis, quantitative analysis, ebulioscopy, cryoscopy). Determination of distribution by the type of functionality (DTF) and MM according to the methods of chromatography;
- implementing of cation photo-polymerisation of the compositions being developed with the use of onium salts by methods of light and electronic irradiation;
- development of the methodologies and synthesis of the compositions in the environment of supercritical (SC) solvents according to the relevant technology
- investigation of the properties of PhCEC by physico-chemical and physico-mechanical methods;
- evaluation of the exploitation properties of PhCEC – resolution, chemical stability and durability.
The contribution of foreign collaborators is in the exchange of information during project implementation, in joint investigation of the structure and properties of obtained PhCEC, as well as in the discussion of the received results, in the joint search of markets for obtained results and in promoting the integration of scientists participating in the project into the international scientific community
The project is considered for 36 months.