Optimization of Magnesium Strips Properties
Effects of Deformation Conditions and Heat Treatments on Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Mg-Alloy Strips
Tech Area / Field
- MAT-ALL/High Performance Metals and Alloys/Materials
3 Approved without Funding
MISIS (Steel and Alloys), Russia, Moscow
- All-Russian Institute of Light Alloys, Russia, Moscow
- Thyssen Krupp AG / MgF Magnesium Flachprodukte, Germany, Freiberg\nTU Bergakademie Freiberg / Institut für Metallformung, Germany, Freiburg
Project summaryIt is known, that the alloys on a magnesium basis are lightest of constructional materials, rather widely used in an industry now. A favorable ratio of high strength properties and small density make magnesium and its alloys more preferable in many cases in comparison with steel and aluminium products, that explains the fact, that for last 10 years application in motor industry of details from magnesium alloys has increased on 20%.
The receipt of sheet hire from alloys with hexagonal type of a crystal lattice is characterized by a high degree of localization of plastic deformation, that has negative effect for technological plasticity during rolling process. The degree of this localization is defined crystallographic texture and structure, which, in turn, is formed during deformation and heat treatment.
Major factors determining processes of structure formation, are chemical composition of alloy and deformation thermal modes of treatment of initial preparations.
On the basis of study formation structure processes of alloys in conditions of laboratory modelling with construction the diagrams of structural condition and diagrams of deformation mechanisms it is possible to minimize volume of investigations for a choice of optimum modes to receive products with required parameters of quality.
In the Moscow Institute of Steel and Alloys the methodical basis is developed and the significant experimental experience of construction the diagrams of structural condition, mechanisms of deformation, mechanisms of destruction for many steels and alloys is accumulated. In VILS the extensive experimental research is carried out, as a result of which the diagrams for practically all existing industrial aluminium and part of magnesium alloys are constructed.
On the basis of available scientific - methodical data the research project on investigation of a role of superfluous intermetallide phases and development in conditions of laboratory modelling and experimental production of rational modes of deformation and heat treatment for sheet hire from magnesium alloys of various structure is offered with the purpose of reception of regulated structure and properties.
The given project should consist of the following stages:
1. Study of influence of conditions for reception magnesium alloys and their composition on quality of cast preparations, character and nature superfluous intermetallide phases in structure of cast preparations.
2. Study of phase and structural transformations during deformation and heat treatment of various magnesium alloys with the purpose of optimization of alloyed elements ratio.
3. Study of structure formation in a wide range temperature-speed and deformation conditions of rolling and heat treatment and construction of the diagrams of structural condition, diagrams of deformation mechanisms, diagrams of destruction mechanisms.
4. Study of texture formation process during deformation and heat treatment.
5. Study of properties of the cast and deformed semifinished items from magnesium alloys with various composition.
6. Development of the recommendations on modes to receive sheet preparations from magnesium alloys of various alloying systems.
7. Release of an experimental batch of sheets from magnesium alloys with a high output suitable (on 10 %) and increased quality.