Laser Isotope Separation
Creation of a Technological Laser Complex for Laser Separation of Middle Mass Isotopes.
Tech Area / Field
- FIR-ISO/Isotopes/Fission Reactors
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Karabashev S G
NIIEFA Efremov, Russia, St Petersburg
- Institute of Spectroscopy, Russia, Moscow reg., Troitsk\nTsKBM ENERGOVAC, Russia, St Petersburg\nVNIIEF, Russia, N. Novgorod reg., Sarov\nTRINITI, Russia, Moscow reg., Troitsk
- Isonics Corporation, USA, NJ, Edgewater
Project summaryThe aim of the Project is to increase the amount of stable isotopes produced by the method, in particular carbon-13 widely used nowadays in medicine. For this purpose it is necessary to update the components and systems of the laser complex and centrifuge cascade so as to provide the required commercial service life of the technological complex developed under ISTC Project №012-94, as well as to optimize the parameters of the laser and centrifugal part of the facility with the aim of increasing its productivity.
Under the Project the activities will be undertaken as well on commercial introduction of isotope enrichment by a purely laser method, without centrifuges, the principals of which have been developed at ISAN and tried out on facilities at TRINITI.
To realize successfully the Project the following works are to be accomplished:
• update the components and systems of the laser complex and centrifuge cascade with the aim of providing the service life required for a commercial facility;
• carry out the feasibility study and perform researches for development of a facility for a reverse conversion of CO2 enriched in 13C into freon-22 with the aim of increasing the complex productivity;
• develop, manufacture and adjust the missing equipment of the laser complex at TRINITI and NIIEFA so as to try out the technology of the purely laser method of 13C isotope production;
• manufacture and adjust the equipment for the optimization of the technology of laser separation of silicon and nitrogen isotopes on TRINITI, NIIEFA and CKBM facilities.
The following scientific and technical results are expected to obtained during the progress of fche Project:
• commercial variants of the main components of the laser and centrifugal parts of the technological complex will be developed;
• the feasibility study and researches will be performed for the development of the equipment for CO2 conversion enriched in 13C into freon-22 with the aim of increasing the facility productivity;
• the capabilities of the technological complex for commercial production of silicon and nitrogen isotopes will be investigated;
• the production technology of high-enriched 13C will be developed for the purely laser method;
• the equipment for technological laser complexes with an average radiation power of 0.5 kW and 4 kW for the purely laser method will be developed and put into service.