Infrasonic and Microseismic Fields
The Influence of Natural and Industrial Infrasonic and Micro Seismic Fields on Human Organism
Tech Area / Field
3 Approved without Funding
NIIIT (Pulse Techniques), Russia, Moscow
- Kolsky Regional Seismological Centre, Russia, Murmansk reg., Apatity\nKola Science Center / Hospital and Polyclinic, Russia, Murmansk reg., Apatity\nKola Science Center / Polar Geophysical Institute, Russia, Murmansk reg., Murmansk
- Työterveyslaitos, Finnish Institute of Occupation Health / Oulu Regional Institute of Occupational Health, Finland, Oulu\nUniversity of Sussex / School of Biological Science, UK, Brighton\nMunich University, Institute for Occupatinal and Environmental Medicine, Germany, Munich
Project summaryThe goal of the Project is the experimental study of correlation dependencies of human health disorder factors with amplitude-frequency characteristics of infrasonic and micro seismic fields, and duration of their effect.
Experimental activities on the measurement of physical parameters of natural and industrial infrasonic and micro seismic fields, and their preliminary processing and storage of information are planned by the Project participants from the Scientific and Research Institute of Pulse Technique (RIPT), Kola Regional Seismic Center (KRSC) and the Polar Geophysical Institute (PGI), at mining sites and mining-processing companies, operating in the Khibiny mountain range (city of Apatity, Murmansk Region). Detailed processing of the obtained experimental material will be performed using the SAS System statistic processing software package at the RIPT (Moscow), involving specialists from other organizations, participating in the Project. Medical support will be provided by highly qualified specialists in labor medicine, medical ecology and professional pathology, employed by the hospital with polyclinic of the Kola Science Center (HP of KSC) in Apatity.
The main tasks of the Project are as follows:
– simultaneous registration of infrasonic and microseisms by acoustic and seismic groups of KRSC at monitoring stations, located in Apatity and Kirovsk;
– observations of atmospheric and heliogeophysical disturbances at PGI observatories;
– registration of infrasonic and microseisms during the mining process itself, in pits of the Khibiny mountain range;
– identification of sources of infrasonic and micro seismic waves, based on preliminary analysis of experimental information;
– experimental study of infrasonic and micro seismic fields of natural origin in areas with a relief that intensifies the growth of their intensity;
– studies of the occurrence rate of complaints concerning health reproduction deterioration and the reduction of working capacity of people, affected by infrasonic and micro seismic disturbances;
– correlation of medical data with the level of magnetic activity, in order to exclude the influence of geomagnetic factor on public health (if necessary, simultaneous measurements of magnetic disturbances within the range of magnetic pulsations will be conducted);
– statistic processing of data, concerning the measurement of physical and medical indices, in order to construct correlation dependencies of health deteriorating factors of various categories of people with characteristics of infrasonic and micro seismic effects;
– development of recommendations on the application of the most effective methods to reduce professional health disorders with persons, who have experienced an intense effect of infra sound and microseisms.
The basic scientific results of the work will constitute the established correlation dependencies between amplitude-spectrum parameters of physical fields and health disorders as, for instance, the reaction of cardio-vascular, central and autonomic nervous systems for various groups of people, both those employed by industries with an increased level of the investigated physical effects and others, who may lead a normal life.
Commercial implementation of the Project results for professional groups of people is possible in industrial companies with an increased level of infra sound and micro seismic fields, in the form of recommendations for reducing health disorders and increasing working capacity by 20-30%. Implementation of Project results for groups of ordinary people is possible upon development of a world network of the International Monitoring System (IMS), the Comprehensive Nuclear Tests Ban Treaty (CNTBT), to include infrasonic and seismic subsystems. Experimental data on the intensity of infra sound and micro seismic fields in the Kola Peninsula, obtained in the course of the project, may be used to assess the interference situation in the mentioned IMS subsystems. In such an instance, by analogy with the index of magnetic activity, information will be obtained on levels of infrasonic and micro seismic noise and their influence on various (after the state of health) groups of population will be assessed.
The Project will be performed by scientists and researchers, who participated directly in studies of physical fields, generated during nuclear arms tests and when investigating the interaction between launched space crafts and the environment.