Reactors with Lead Сoolant
Analytical and Experimental Substantiation of Neutron-Physical Characteristics of Fast Reactors with Lead Coolant
Tech Area / Field
- FIR-NOT/Nuclear and Other Technical Data/Fission Reactors
- FIR-NSS/Nuclear Safety and Safeguarding/Fission Reactors
- INF-SOF/Software/Information and Communications
3 Approved without Funding
FEI (IPPE), Russia, Kaluga reg., Obninsk
- Argonne National Laboratory (ANL) / West, USA, ID, Idaho Falls
Project summaryAt present a conception of a new generation of fast reactors having a series of principal distinctions such as: using of lead coolant, nitride uranium – plutonium fuel on the base of industrial (energy) plutonium, breeding ratio for a core ~ 1, moderate energy intensity of the core, small reactivity margin and others was developed in Russia under the direction of Orlov V.V. The features of neutron-physical characteristics of such type reactor allow:
– to exclude production of weapon quality plutonium;
– to efficiently utilize plutonium accumulated as a result of operation of thermal reactors;
– to reduce consumption of uranium without reaching short times of doubling;
– to deterministically exclude heavy accidents connected with any personnel mistakes, failures of equipment including malfunctioning of safety protection, introduction of complete reactivity margin and so on;
– to reduce radioactive hazard of radioactive wastage.
All this allows considering them as a rather perspective potential base of wide-ranging nuclear power engineering for the future.
This project is directed to obtaining the convincing experimental confirmation of predictable neutron-physical characteristics of the considered type reactor with heavy coolant. It is proposed to do this by the detailed analysis of the experiments carried out on BFS critical assembly of RF SSC IPPE. For this it is required:
1. To conduct careful documenting of the assembly state, conditions of conducting the measurements, the used experimental techniques, the obtained results, explanation of the experimental errors.
2. To create the benchmark-model of the experiment and to carry out estimation of the experiment, i.e. to adapt the experimental results to conditions of the model and to estimate the additional uncertainties connected with distinction of the model from the real experiment, uncertainties of the model (material composition, geometry) and introduction of the necessary corrections;
3. To carry out the calculation analysis of the experiment on the base of developed model and the obtained calculated - experimental discrepancies;
4. To create the calculated model of the reactor with lead coolant, to carry out the analysis of neutron-physical characteristics and their sensitivities, on the base of which to estimate reliability of prediction of parameters of such reactor on the results of the experiments carried out on BFS facility.
Participation of foreign collaborators in the calculation analysis of the obtained benchmark -experiment as well as the reactor model with lead coolant is proposed.