3D Dosimetry for Radiation Therapy
Development of a three-dimensional dosimetry planing system for radiation therapy.
Tech Area / Field
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Komarkov D A
MIFI, Russia, Moscow
- Cancer Research Center, Russia, Moscow\nVNIIEF, Russia, N. Novgorod reg., Sarov
- Forschungszentrum Rossendorf / Institut für Sicherheitsforschung, Germany, Dresden\nSCK-CEN, Belgium, Mol\nDuke University / Medical Center, USA, NH, Durham
Project summaryAccording to modern concepts, the maximum difference between prescribed dose for the tumor in Radiation Therapy and the dose received by tumor region should not exceed 5%.
Up to date dose distribution calculation methods which are used for 3D treatment planning systems (TPS) abroad sometimes do not provide required accuracy especially for high density gradient regions, for large fields of irradiation, for high photon beam therapy and also for regions where electronic equilibrium is not maintained. In Russia there is no completed 3D TPS for remote gamma therapy at all.
The following are 3D TPS development proposes:
- development of fast methods and calculation algorithms for volume dose distributions in tumor region taking into account body inhomogeneity for remote gamma and bremsstrahlung therapy meeting modern requirements;
- elaboration of original automatic dose field analysator;
- development of the base of experimental and calculated data which are used for fast methods of SDP;
- program development for direct full-scale simulation by Monte-Carlo method for joint gamma-electron transport in geometries typical for beam therapy tasks;
- methods development for correction factors determination in body inhomogeneity. Such correction factors are used in fast methods of SDP;
- design of main modules of 3D dosimetry planning system for original gamma and bremsstrahlung irradiation units.