Tuberculosis of Cattle
Development of means of cattle tuberculosis diagnostics
Tech Area / Field
- AGR-DIS/Disease Surveillance/Agriculture
3 Approved without Funding
Kyrgyz Research Institute of Livestock, Veterinary and Pastures, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
- Tajik Science and Research Veterinary Institute, Tajikistan, Dushanbe
- KIT Biomedical Research / Koninklijk Instituut voor de Tropen, The Netherlands, Amsterdam\nThe University of Georgia / College of Veterinary Medicine, USA, GA, Athens\nPHRI, USA, NJ, Newark\nUniversity of Manitoba / Faculty of Medicine, Canada, MB, Winnipeg\nVeterinary Sciences Division, UK, Belfast
Project summaryThe aim of the research is to study the spread of Tuberculosis Mycobacteria among animals and in the environment and find out its epizootiologic value, to develop a highly active and specific allergen (Tuberculin) from the local strain for the lifetime diagnostics the cattle Tuberculosis and also to teach cattle breeders and farmers new methods of animals’ Tuberculosis control.
Animals’ Tuberculosis is one of the acute problems of the veterinary science and practice. The disease is annually registered causing huge economical damage to the farms of the Kyrgyz Republic and Tajikistan. The tendency of potential danger of the epizootiologic spread of the disease has been observed for the last years. The most dangerous result of animals Tuberculosis is that people get the infection usually from ill animals and the products produced from them.
Lack of reliable diagnosticums and means of specific prophylaxis is the main obstacle to farms getting free from Tuberculosis. However effective means of the disease diagnosis have not been developed yet in Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan.
Tuberculosis control is fulfilled in Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan by veterinary- sanitarian measures with obligatory systematic cattle diagnostic examination. The basic method of animals Tuberculosis diagnosis is an allergic test for which PPD Tuberculin is bought in the Russian Federation.
Tasks of the project:
· to study the epizootic situation on cattle Tuberculosis in Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan;
· to develop an allergen for cattle Tuberculosis diagnosis;
· to test the Tuberculin’s specific features and activity in laboratory animals sensibilized by different species of Mycobacteria;
· to test Tuberculin in simultaneous sample in cattle ill with Tuberculosis and in the farms free from the disease;
· to teach people theoretical and practical methods of animal and people Tuberculosis control and for this purpose to provide them with printed materials about ways of Tuberculosis prevention and prophylaxis;
Doctors and Candidates of Veterinary Sciences, highly skilled experts experienced in microbiology, virology and immunology will be involved in the project implementation.
1. The rate of Tuberculosis spread among different species of farm animals and in the environment and the species of Mycobacteria positively reacting on Tuberculin will be studied and their pathogenicity for people and animals will be determined.
2. A highly sensitive and specific Tuberculin for the lifetime diagnostics the farm animals Tuberculosis will be developed. It will facilitate the epizootic freedom from Tuberculosis not only among cattle but also among people of Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan and help to prevent economical damage caused by the disease.
3. As a result of the project implementation veterinary specialists from regions and farms will be taught the method of allergic examination, during a short period all cattle and domestic animals will be examined and ill animals will be isolated, the rate of people and animals Tuberculosis will be reduced.
For the first time in the conditions of Kyrgyz Republic and Tajikistan investigations will be conducted on a large scale to isolate and study cattle Tuberculosis Mycobacteria strains, an experimental series of Tuberculin will be produced and its sensitivity and specific features will be studied in experimental and production conditions. The Tuberculin obtained will be recommended to use in livestock farms for cattle Tuberculosis diagnosis. The scientific and methodological principles of the proposals have been compiled with the help of weapon scientists who were dealing before with closed themes of research centers. Owing to its geographical situation Kyrgyzstan in surrounded by several Central Asian Republics, in particular by Tajikistan. We are bound by common vital phenomena, problems of ecology and transbordering.
Research on Tuberculosis prophylaxis and prevention cannot be carried out separately only in Kyrgyzstan. Joint research with our neighbors is very important and necessary.
Collaborators of the Project are to conduct the following activities:
· methodical audit of the Project;
· information interchange during the fulfillment of the Project Activities Plan;
· participation in the fulfillment of the Project Activities Plan;
Animals allergic and serological examinations will be conducted for epizootological monitoring.
The laboratory diagnostics of Tuberculosis with pre-seeding treatment of the diagnostic biological material and biological sampling will be carried out using the generally accepted method according to the «Methodical instructions on animals Tuberculosis diagnostics», State Standard 26072. For cultivation we will use nutrient mediums of Livenstain-Yensen, Gelberg, Petraniani etc. Smear will be colored using the method of Tcil-Nilsen and the luminescent method. Isolated cultures will be identified according to the State Standard 27318 and other normative documents. Taking pathological materials and Mycobacteria excretion will be carried out according to the generally accepted method.
The method of protein sedimentation by rectified alcohol in isoelectric point from the mixture of cultural and supernatant fluids obtained by bacterial mass lysising will be used to obtain Tuberculin.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.