Hadron Therapy and Diagnostics Center
Development of Technical Proposals for the North-West Regional Center of Hadron Therapy and Diagnostics in St. Petersburg
Tech Area / Field
- MED-DID/Diagnostics & Devices/Medicine
- PHY-ANU/Atomic and Nuclear Physics/Physics
- PHY-PFA/Particles, Fields and Accelerator Physics/Physics
3 Approved without Funding
St Petersburg State University / Institute of Physics, Russia, St Petersburg
- TsKBM, Russia, St Petersburg\nCity Clinical Oncology Center, Russia, St Petersburg\nNuclear Physics Institute, Russia, Leningrad reg., Gatchina\nResearch Institute of Hygiene, Occupational Pathology and Human Ecology, Russia, Leningrad reg., Vsevolozhsk\nNIIEFA Efremov, Russia, St Petersburg\nMinistry of Health / Central Research Institute of Roentgenology and Radiology, Russia, St Petersburg
- CERN, Switzerland, Geneva\nFotec GmbH, Austria, Wiener Neustadt
Project summaryThe goal of the Project:
- V.A.Fock Institute of Physics of Saint-Petersburg State University (Fock Institute of Physics SPbSU, Ministry of Education, RF)
- Federal State Unitary Enterprise “D.V. Efremov Scientific-research institute of Electrophysical apparatus” (FSUE NIIEFA, MinAtom)
- Central Design Bureau of machine Building (CDBM, MinAtom RF)
- St.Petersburg City Clinical Oncology Centre (SPbCCOC, St.Petersburg Health Protection Committee)
- Central Research Institute of Roentgenology and Radiology, St. Petersburg (CRIRR)
- Petersburg Nuclear Physics Institute named after B.P.Konstantinov, (PNPI, RAS, Gatchina)
- Research Institute of Hygiene, Occupational Pathology and Human Ecology (RIHOPHE, Federal Bureau of Medical and Biological Extreme Problems, the Ministry of Health of Russian Federation)
are proposing to develop the concept and the Technical Proposals for the development in St.Petersburg of the new medical facility for the ion-beam therapy – the North-West Regional Centre of Hadron Therapy and Diagnostics of Oncology Deceases. The latest world achievements in the ion beams therapy using protons and carbon ions, the modern nuclear physics methods of radiation treatment control and the newest methods of precise diagnostic of oncology deceases will be taken into account. The latest developments in the information technologies based on the distributed data analysis will be used as a base for the demonstration of two prototypes of mass scale diagnostic systems. The financial justification will be prepared for the next steps in the design and development of the Hadron Therapy center with the participation of Russian enterprises.
The Center should include a specialized medical accelerator of protons and carbon ions with the beam delivery system to the places of therapy, and the additional accelerators for the production of medical isotopes used for the PET diagnostics. The centre should be equipped with the high precision systems of the automated dose distribution control during the therapy that will guarantee the high quality and efficiency at all stages of the medical process. The centre should be also connected with the intellectual system of medical examinations of the population based on the latest developments of the GRID informational technology.
The relevance of the Project is dictated by the necessity to enroot the newest modern high efficient methods of diagnostics and therapy of oncology deceases in St.Petersburg and the North-West region.
The novelty of the project is in the application of the modern developments in the field of accelerator technique, of the newest detector systems of high energy and nuclear physics for the high precision control of the irradiated tumors. The use of the latest information technologies (GRID and MammoGRID) as the main tool in distributed data storage and analysis is an important component part of the project.
Development and practical demonstration of two prototype systems of mass diagnostics of oncology deceases is one of the peculiarities of the present proposal. It is planned, in particular, to carry out a diagnostic check of not less then 5000 patients of Mammology City Oncology Center and to use the obtained data for the MammoGrid analysis using the CERN-developed GRID systems.
The proposals are based on the existing experience of 10 years joint development of two central systems of ALICE at CERN by St.Petersburg State University and CDBM in the framework of three ISTC projects, on the practical FSUE NIIEFA) experience in development of accelerator and diagnostic complexes, the CDBM experience for Russian atomic industry, diagnostics experience of RIHOPHE and of SPbCCOC, of the photon beam therapy by SPbCCOC and of proton therapy by PNPI and CRIRR.
Scope of Activities:
The medical justification for the hadron therapy (proton and carbon ion beams) and for the equipment necessary for the radiology department of the hadron therapy centre will be defined.
Four options of a specialized medical accelerator will be considered in the given project:
- The project PIMMS (Proton-Ion Medical Machine Study) developed at CERN with the Med-AUSTRON (Austria) and TERA (Italy) support. The possibility of Russian enterprises in participation in the design and construction stages and in the equipment manufacturing will be revealed.
- The modernization of the existing complex of the proton beam therapy at the 1000MeVproton synchrocyclotron in Gatchina.
- Transformation of the existing 1000MeV proton synchrocyclotron in Gatchina into the regime of acceleration of ions with A/z = 2 (i.e. ions of С12+6 and Н2+1) up to the energies of 400 MeV/n).
- Technical and financial study of a less expensive proton medical accelerator similar to the project of “the compact proton accelerator” TERA (joint development of CERN and TERA ) or of the proton medical cyclotron Cyclone-235 by IBA (Belgium) .
Detailed model simulations of the processes of interaction of protons and 12C ions with the biological tissues are foreseen on the base of the modern high energy codes GEANT and FLUKA.
Informational technologies and two prototypes of the mass scale diagnostic systems
Early diagnostics using the computer aided intellectual diagnostic system developed by the Research Institute of Hygiene, Occupational Pathology and Human Ecology (RIHOPHE, St.Petersburg). The practical demonstration of the prototype of the computer aided intellectual diagnostic system based on the GRID information technology system will be done in the given project. The previously developed methods will be used for the examination of 10000 patients and the risk group will be defined.
Diagnostics of the oncology decease of the mammal gland
The prototype of the mass medical mammography examinations based on the GRID application will be also tested in the present project. This study includes:
1. Organization and service of the centralized mammogram database with the account of confidentiality, authorization of the access and the Mammogrid connection.
2. Preparation of equipment for digital mammography at the mammology Center of St.Petersburg CCOC.
3. Mamography data taking of 5000 patients (medical diagnosis, digitization of images).
Expected results and their application
The next major results are expected in the course of the project:
1. the conceptual design of the Center of ion therapy and diagnostics;
2. development and tests of two prototypes of mass scale oncology deceases diagnostics systems based on the GRID technologies application;
3. technical and financial justification of the further stages of development of the Hadron Therapy Centre based on Russian technologies and in a possible international cooperation.
Meeting ISTC Goals and Objectives
The involvement of specialists of the former defense complex of Russian Federation into the international scientific collaborations will be realized in the course of the given project. Three institutions – participants of the given project are belonging to the former defense enterprises. Their share in the whole project is about 57% in working days.
Role of Non-CIS Collaborators
The experience in development of the medical accelerator PIMMS for hadron therapy will be shared by CERN and Med-AUSTRON. Regular contacts are foreseen with the goal of discussion of the applicability of Russian technologies to the PIMMS construction. The expertise of the technical proposals developed in the present project by the experts from CERN and Med-AUSTRON is foreseen. Testing of the AliEn and MammoGRID software and analysis of the mass scale mammography study results will be done also together with CERN.
Technical approach and Methodology
The following methodology will be used in the Project:
1) Development of the initial concept of hadron therapy center basing on the existing experience.
2) Model simulation of the processes in tissues based on the modern high energy physics codes and comparison with the existing experiment data.
3) Discussions of the design with the experts from CERN and Med-Austron.
4) Development and tests of tele-diagnostic systems prototypes using GRID.
5) Development of the final concept of the center (including the medical, technical and financial feasibility study).