Bioremediation of Winery Wastewater
Development of Winery Wastewater Biological Treatment and Creation of High Efficient Working Installation
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-WPC/Water Pollution and Control/Environment
3 Approved without Funding
Research Institute of Horticulture, Viticulture and Winemaking, Georgia, Tbilisi
- Georgian Technical University, Georgia, Tbilisi
- San Francisco State University / Department of Environmental Science, USA, CA, San Francisco
Project summaryThe aim of the Project is to develop biological process of winery wastewater treatment and experimental design an efficient treatment plant to get chemically clean water free from dissolved contaminated matters.
Immobilization of bacteria on a mineral used as packing ensures the efficiency of the work.
There are known biological methods of polluted water treatment by using certain materials as packing: synthetic fiber, plastic and polymeric articles of various forms, ceramic rings, wood chips, sawdust, clay and asbestos. These materials are not porous and durable enough. The packing we use is a mineral with a good mechanical durability and it does not crumble.
The plant designed for winery wastewater treatment consists of three independent units: mechanical industrial water treatment, biological purification and sediment processing.
Biological purification of polluted water is carried out in a bioreactor, which consists of metallic sections, filled with packing, which is a mineral of 20-50 mm and immobilized by selective active types of microorganisms. Industrial water continuously flows through the bioreactor with a certain velocity. Control over the bioreactor is maintained through testing water, which flows in and out:
Productivity of our pilot plant in getting chemically clean water is 125 l/h and higher.
The novelty of the Project is the following:
· Use of a natural mineral as packing;
· Direct-flow purification of polluted water in metallic sections;
· The treatment plant does not need a special room.
· Construction of the treatment plant which has three independent units;
· Keeping the depth of purification on any desirable level by changing the velocity of a flow through the plant;
· Proposed method of industrial water treatment is characterized by small expenses, absence of complex equipment, simplicity of the service, reliability on the quality of purification conditioned by complete removal of organic soluble matters in water, thus getting environmentally harmless waste products.
· The patent N 176 is granted for use of minerals as packing to purify waters.
Researches on scientific-technological and biological tasks will be carried out on a special test-bench providing the study of:
· Dynamism and changes in qualitative and quantitative composition of industrial water during the purification process.
· Optimal technological parameters of industrial water treatment in the treatment plant by using microbiological methods of research: sowing microbiological materials in Petri dish within the nutrient medium, calculation of colonies in Petri dishes by a calculator, counting the quality of microorganisms in a Gorjaev chamber under microscope, getting biomass in fermenters.
· Productivity of the treatment plant based on the conditions of purification.
If the Project is implemented the following results are expected:
· Productivity of the treatment plant at different parameters of purification process;
· Dynamism of changes in qualitative and quantitative industrial water composition during the purification process;
· To get chemically clean water free from soluble matters;
· To get water free from pathogenic microorganisms;
· To reach such indices on water quality which allows water drainage in reservoirs;
· To use the given method as a preliminary way of river water treatment, thereafter to purify water by a common physic-chemical method in order to get drinking water;
Due to implementation of the Project we will apply for several patents and continue working on the further development of the treatment plant.
· Use of the treatment plant to purify industrial water of any production;
· Use of purified water repeatedly if necessary on the basis of the closed system;
· The proposed treatment plant can be repeatedly used for many years due to mechanical durability of the packing.
· The mineral used as packing is mined in Georgia.
· Drainage of chemically clean water in natural reservoirs- rivers, lakes, seas will increase the number of fish.
· Production and Realization of the treatment plant in the countries, which need industrial water treatment;
The implementation of the proposed Project will support research and development of technology in the field of environmental protection, cooperation in solving an international problem to develop less expensive methods of water purification in reservoirs.
The implementation of the Project will give an opportunity to scientists, who worked earlier in the field of development of weapons, to redirect their skills to peaceful activities. The Project’s implementation will contribute to applied researches and biotechnology in the field of industrial water treatment.
The potential role of the foreign collaborator is to exchange information during the Project’s implementation, to give comments on quarterly, annual and final reports.