Pilot Project on ISO 14000
Development of the Pilot Project of Environmental Management System for Minatom RF Enterprise in Compliance with ISO 14000 Standards on Environmental Management and its Testing in RFNC-VNIIEF
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-EHS/Environmental Health and Safety/Environment
3 Approved without Funding
VNIIEF, Russia, N. Novgorod reg., Sarov
- All-Russian Scientific Research Institute of Standardization, Russia, Moscow
- Quality System Inc., USA, PA, Birdsboro
Project summaryThe purpose of the project:
· Development of the pilot project on implementation of the Environmental Management System ISO 14000 on enterrises of Minatom RF and its testing in RFNC-VNIIEF.
The industrially developed countries have adopted environmental legislative and normative rules, the strategy of environment management, in compliance with standards series 14000 the environment management methods are widely implemented.
The entry of our country to the community of industrially developed countries with developed market economy and, accordingly, the integration of the domestic manufacturers on the world markets requires unconditional compliance with the unified standards and rules, including in the area of application of environmental management methods.
In Russia ISO standarts series 14000 are sequentially entered by acceptance of the authentic texts of these documents as the State standards. Certification system on ecological requirements developed by Goskomecology of Russia was registered in 1996 with Gosstandart of Russia. Systems of ecological certification form and actively find their developing in other Russian Ministries and Departments.
To create and effectively operate the Environmental Management System on an enterprise the following elements are necessary:
– it is necessary to define the environmental policy of an enterprise and to formulate the requirements for environmental management system;
– it is necessary to generate the program of ecological policy realization;
– it is necessary to develop action to provide fulfilling the purposes and solving the tasks of the ecological policy;
– it is necessary to provide effective monitoring, control and check of the environment characteristics as well as effects on it;
– it is necessary to provide the continuous analysis of condition and improve the characteristics of environmental management system under effects of external and internal disturbing factors.
The differential characteristic that define the Environmental Management System on enterprise is the periodic audit of a system provided by the personnel of the enterprise or external experts, thus the essential condition is their objectivity and independence, high professional qualification confirmed with appropriate training and the certificate.
The purpose of the project: development of the pilot project on implementation of the Environmental Management System ISO 14000 on enterprises of Minatom RF and its testing in RFNC-VNIIEF.
Tasks of the present project are the following:
– selection of the appropriate legal and regulatory - methodical documents, comparative analysis of international and Russian requirements for environmental management;
– creation of Regulatory – Methodical and Information Center on problems of environmental management on the enterprises of Minatom RF;
– preparation of a group of experts – auditors, who have certificates in the field of environmental management on ISO 14000;
– development of the proposal on measures and program of the environmental management system ISO 14000 implementation on the enterprises of Minatom RF, including the specificity of the Closed Administrative-Territory Area (ZATO);
– testing of the pilot project of the Environmental Management System (EMS) ISO 14000 as an example in RFNC-VNIIEF.
It is reasonable to underline the following advantages of the Environmental Management System implementation in compliance with the ISO standards series 14000:
– high status and advantages in competitiveness;
– realization of a «transparent» organizational structure of an enterprise;
– capability to balance economic and ecological interests;
– the possibility to improve control of production costs;
– compliance with the regulatory requirements and criterions of the investors, insurers and consumers;
– the possibility to reduce the level of emergency with ecological damage;
– the possibility to provide improving in the relations with regulatory and monitoring executive authorities;
– positive motivation for the personnel to cooperate.
Capabilities of RFNC-VNIIEF to implement this system in ZATO of Minatom RF are facilitated with the following aspects:
– in the Institute the experience to provide regulatory – methodical and organizational support on fulfillment of the environmental requirements and interaction with state monitoring authorities is accumulated;
– RFNC-VNIIEF is the base enterprise of Minpriroda RF for Minatom RF complex.
The represented project completely corresponds with ISTC purposes:
– it is an advanced project with a perspective for further use in peace purposes and at first in the field of ecology;
– the outcomes of this project corresponds with civil needs;
– the project encourages involving the scientists and engineers deal with development and production of weapon in Russia, into international scientific community.
Assurance to complete the project assumed bases on: great professional experience of RFNC-VNIIEF and VNIIStandart employees.
The VNIIEF has a necessary amount of competent experts, who are capable to solve complex tasks at high scientific and technological level, have experience to realize scientific-research activities in the field of environment protection on various enterprises of Minatom and Defense Ministry of Russian Federation.
VNIIStandart experts have high experience to provide activities in the field of standardization and certification of quality systems in ecology.