Improvement of Radiation Therapy
Equipment and Materials for Oncology (Generator System for Injections in PET Diagnostics, Pasteups for Local Delivery of Medical Agents to Disease Hotbed)
Tech Area / Field
- MED-DID/Diagnostics & Devices/Medicine
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Suh G W
ITEF (ITEP), Russia, Moscow
- NII TM (Textile Materials), Russia, Moscow
Project summaryFor the treatment of oncological diseases, radiation therapy is required in 40 - 70% cases, which is used either alone or in combination with other treatment methods (surgery, chemotherapy, hormone therapy).
Very important factor for the successful radiation treatment of oncological diseases is the early diagnostics and exact verification of tumors, possibility to estimate the radiation efficiency to the tumor during the radiation treatment. The application of PET method to diagnostics in oncology and to the development of methods of radiation efficiency control in radiation therapy seems fairly prospective, since by means of PET it is possible to verify tumors with high certainty, to observe current results of radiation treatment of tumors.
The implementation of valuable potential of PET and its wide adoption in clinical practice particularly depends upon the availability of the equipment allowing to realize at an accessible price the rutine PET-diagnostic in a clinic. The generator system proposed within a frame of this project gives the possibility to solve this problems because its does not require a dedicated and expensive enough accelerator for the production of short-lived positron-emission radionuclides.
The most modern method of radiation therapy provides the unique possibility to deliver high doses to the irradiated area (target) with reduced dose load to the tissues around the irradiated object. However, at the same time restrictions occur, which do not allow to deliver doses required for tumor suppression because of the risk to overdo the tolerant dose to healthy tissues and structures (skin, mucous membrane, etc.).
Therefore no less important objective of the proposed project, is the development of a method of local, including transdermal, delivery of medicines - sensibilisers and protectors -in radiation therapy. The aimed delivery of sensibilisers to the hotbed in required concentrations would make it possible to reduce the dose to the target without decreasing the therapeutical effect of irradiation, or to increase the therapeutical effect without increasing the radiation dose. The delivery of protectors to tissues surrounding the irradiated hotbed would protect them from radiation damage. The specific feature of the proposed development is that a composite material based on a textile carrier and biopolimers, is used for this purpose.
The solution of the problems in the framework of the proposed project - including both problems of diagnostics improvement and methods of increasing treatment course and post-radiation therapy efficiency, will result in sufficient improvement of treatment and life quality of patients with oncological diseases. Specialists having rich experience in the PET problems and technologists specializing on the designing of a composite therapeutic textile material would participate in this project.
In the course of work on the project, it is expected to obtain the following basic results:
- develop the concept, calculate and experimentally substantiate the design of a generator system providing variety of injection modes and fitting the requirements of medical users;
- develop the design of a compact high-pressure pump, design a special semiconductor detector of activity, and software for testing and control of all generator system elements;
- manufacture and assemble an experimental specimen of the generator system, do its adjustment;
- carry out complex tests of the generator system experimental specimen;
- carry out research on the development of a determination method of radiation efficiency to tissues using PET method;
- develop methods for studying transport of medicines to human body tissues;
- develop models, and soft- and hardware complex for the calculation of medicines mass flow for different compositions of applications;
- develop and master technology for the production of materials with medical preparations for aimed local delivery of radiosensibilisers and protectors to irradiated hotbed and adjacent tissues;
- develop basic methods of using new materials with medical preparations for the improvement of radiation treatment and postradiation therapy efficiency.
- Stanley Satz, PhD, President
BIO-NUCLEONICS, INC. Radioisotopes for Health Science Applications
Address: 1910 N.E. Miami Court Miami, Florida 33132
Tel.: 305 576-0996
Fax: 305 573-2293
- Hans Lundqvuist, Assistant professor
UPPSALA UNIVERSITY Biomedical Radiation Sciences
Address: Box 535, S-751 21 Uppsala Sweden
Tel: 18 182500
Fax: 18 183831