Neutron Source on Muon Fusion
mCF-Based 14-MeV Intense Neutron Source
Tech Area / Field
- FUS-ICS/Inertial Confinement Systems/Fusion
3 Approved without Funding
Kurchatov Research Center / Mucatex, Russia, Moscow
- VNIIEF, Russia, N. Novgorod reg., Sarov\nJoint Institute of Nuclear Research, Russia, Moscow reg., Dubna\nNuclear Physics Institute, Russia, Leningrad reg., Gatchina
- Science and Technology Facilities Council / Central Laser Facility (CLRC), UK, Didcot\nLos-Alamos National Laboratory, USA, NM, Los-Alamos\nENEA, Italy, Rome
Project summaryThe goal of the project is the development of the technical proposal for the construction of 14-MeV neutron source (INS) with the intensity 1017n/s and flux 1014n/cm2s intended for studying materials used in the future thermonuclear reactor, and for the nuclear waste transmutation. In the framework of the project the following scientific and technical problems will be solved:
- The systematic measurements of the fusion neutron multiplicity per one muon in the triple H/D/T mixture of hydrogen isotopes will be performed on the unique installation created in the framework of the ISTC project #25.
- The optimum conditions (temperature, density, isotopic composition of the H/D/T mixture) will be fixed for the INS synthesiser operation.
- Processes of the multiple pion production in 1.5-2.0 GeV deuteron cohisions with light targets (Li, C) will be studied.
- Software describing pion decay to muons and their motion in magnetic traps of various types, processes of secondary nucleons transport, and kinetics of the muon catalysis reactions will be developed.
- Heat calculations of the pion producing target and synthesiser will be performed.
- The spectra of the secondary particles and the radiation damage of the constructions will be calculated.
- Construction of the pion producing target will be chosen and optimized.
- Construction of the superconducting solenoid with a system of magnetic mirrors for keeping pions, their conversion to muons and muon transport into the synthesiser will be chosen and optimized.
- Construction of the synthesiser filled with the H/D/T mixture will be chosen and optimised.
- The system of the radiation shielding of the magnets and personnel from the highly energetic secondary nucieons, produced in the pion producing target and from the 14-MeV neutrons will be chosen and optimised.
- The project of the contour of H/D/T mixture circulation will be developed including:
- the system of purification of H/D/T gas-mixture from fusion products (3He, 4He) and chemically active admixtures produced in interactions of highly energetic particles with conjtnjction materials of synthesiser walls;
- the system of the analysis of mixture component: concentrations in the synthesiser and technological lines of the circulation contour;
- the system of keeping the fixed concentrations of each H/D/T mixture component in the synthesiser at constant mixture density;
- the system of keeping the mixture components (including tritium).
- The system of radiation monitoring of the INS will be developed.
- The computer codes for the optimization calculations of the source parameters will be created.
- The requirements to the deutron accelerator (energy, current, efficiency of power utilization) will be formulated.
- The conceptual scheme of the blanket for transmutation of AES waste basing on the INS will be developed.
- The economical analysis of the INS construction will be performed.
The final product of the project is the technical task for the project of the intense 14-MeV neutron
source based on muon catalysis, including technical tasks for projecting the following INS subsystems:
- pion producing target;
- superconducting solenoid with magnetic mirrors;
- synthesiser producing fusion neutrons;
- radiation shielding of magnets and personnel from secondary nucieons and fusion neutrons;
- cooling system for the pion producing target and synthesiser;
- system of circulation and purification of H/D/T mixture in the continuous regime of the source operation;
- system of radiation control of the INS;
- the target for material study;
- system of the remote control for changing the synthesiser body; pion producing target, superconducting magnets, studied samples and blanket materials;
- blanket for transmutation of radioactive waste of atomic stations;
- system of storing and burying technological waste (extracted products of fusion, tritium containing gases, dismounted radiatively damaged constructions and worked out construction materials with high induced radioactivity).
In the work on the project scientists from the USA (Los Alamos), Italy (ENEA), Switzerland (PSI), Great Britain (RAL), Austria (IMEP), and other will participate.
The results will be of interest for other foreign centers: RIKEN (Japan), Berkeley, BNL (USA), TUM (Germany), Uppsala University (Sweden).