Technologies for Electrical Connectors
Development of New Technologies of Manufacturing Glass-Titanium and Glass-Aluminium Electrical Connectors with Improved Technical Characteristics
Tech Area / Field
- MAT-SYN/Materials Synthesis and Processing/Materials
- MAN-MAT/Engineering Materials/Manufacturing Technology
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Komarkov D A
VNIITF, Russia, Chelyabinsk reg., Snezhinsk
Project summaryThe goal of proposed project is to develop new technologies of manufacturing glass-titanium and glass-aluminum connectors and techniques to assess strength and reliability of electrical connectors under long-term and cyclic loadings.
To achieve the goals of the project, it is proposed to investigate high-temperature processes running under manufacturing electrical connectors in the contact zone of metals, i.e. metal wetting; chemical and diffusion interaction; gas release and diffusion of gases into metals.
Investigation of high-temperature processes has independent scientific and practical value for scientists and engineers treating the problems of synthesis of new glasses and their application in glass-metal designs as well as will permit to solve many specific problems.
The development of techniques of strength calculations and investigation of high-temperature processes will result in scientific and technical principles, technology of manufacturing tight, high-strength, thermal resistant, corrosion-resistant glass-titanium and glass-aluminum electrical connectors with improved technical characteristics (see Table 1).
Table 1. Expected level of technical characteristics of electrical connectors.
Building of electrical connectors of such class will permit to provide many practical demands:
• maritime underwater and above-waster equipment, especially in submarine devices with great depth of submersion;
• to protect geophysical devices operating under high pressures and temperatures, while investigating deep and super deep ore, oil, gas and coal bore holes;
• to build new tunnels of atomic power stations;
• in electronics while building powerful transistors;
• while working in conditions of contact with corrosion-active matters;
• in space and aviation equipment.
The direction of work on the project to build electrical connectors with improved technical characteristics determines the following technical approaches:
• glass and zone of glass connection with metal are not considered the least strong zone of connector;
• while building tight and strong connectors of glass with titanium, aluminum and copper, the main scientific and technical method is modification of surface properties of metals, but not synthesis of new glasses or overheating of systems out of glass and metal as it was considered.
To perform investigations of high-temperature processes, it will necessary to develop wide methodical base and apply chemical, spectral, differential-thermal, thermographic, micro X-ray spectral and X-ray phase methods of analysis as well as method of vacuum extraction.
Investigations of tightness and strength of electrical connectors under high pressures will be made on special test devices.
It is planned to perform great scope of computations, experiments and tests involving scientists and engineers who are former weapon developers.