Animals in Polluted Areas
Evaluation the ecological and genetical risk of animals in the areas of radiational and chemical pollution in Kyrgyzstan
Tech Area / Field
- BIO-CGM/Cytology, Genetics and Molecular Biology/Biotechnology
- ENV-EHS/Environmental Health and Safety/Environment
3 Approved without Funding
National Academy of Sciences of Kyrgyzstan / Biotechnology Institution, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
- Kyrgyz National Univesity named after J.Balasagyn, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
Project summaryProject is focused on the evaluation of ecological and genetic risks of natural populations of animals inhabiting in the areas of pollution. There are many areas in Kyrgyz Republic where waste-tailings are situated near the settlements of human (Ak-Tyuz, Kadgisai, Maili-Suu, Orlovka, Kara-Balta). The investigations will be carried out in the Orlovka and Kara-Balta. Pollution of these areas presents the harm and threat for the health of people. The aim of project is to reveal the consequences of pollution on natural populations of animals as the object physiologically close to the man. It is possible to expect sanitary consequences of pollution not only for a natural population, but also for people, basing on animal reactions. No in-depth research aimed at estimation of the genetic consequences of chronic irradiation for plant and animal populations has been carried out in Kyrgyzstan. The monitoring system to be used should not merely state the existence of radiational pollution but should also posses adequate prognostic capabilities for revealing of any dangerous trends in the radiation situation.
Multiple experimental researches testify a high radiosensitivity of immunological system, molecular-genetic system of population. Long-term irradiating may lead to genetic mutations and modifications of genome. To evaluate the role of genes in stability of genome is proposed.
Goal of the project is the mapping the areas having γ-radiation at the two territories (the radioactive waste-tail’s locations and uranium production mining plant). The evaluation of risk levels for heredity by analysis of bioindexes of animal’s natural populations and their genetic potential.
The establishment of Project foresees the following results:
- the mapping of scale-radiation of the inspected territories located in the areas of radioactive waste-tailings Orlovka and Kara-Balta:
- Assessment of morphophysiologic, genetic, immunological and radiological investigations;
- Recommendations on development operations for protecting the animal populations lived in polluted territories;
- Forecasting the degree of local impurity in the areas of storages and waste-tailings;
- Elucidation of hereditary and pathological changes of animal’s populations;
- Estimation of genofonds of productive animals;
- Prognosing of social-economical risks for population.