Destruction of Toxic Industrial and Domestic Waste
Disinfection and Destruction of Toxic Domestic Waste and Materials on the Basis of Slow Oxidation Processes with Ecologically Pure Energy Sources
Tech Area / Field
3 Approved without Funding
State Machine Building Design Bureau "Raduga", Russia, Moscow reg., Dubna
- Mangust Company Ltd., Russia, Moscow
Project summaryThe given Project provides development of the technology and units for destruction of a variety of specific types of harmful waste on the base of wind turbines, low-power, at first, posing major problems for ecologically pure destruction, including halides. These compounds contain chlorine, fluorine, iodine, forming toxic products, dioxins at burning.
The Project is based on ‘Raduga” State Machine-Building Design Bureau developments in the field of wind power stations and scientific and technological developments of ”Mangust” Company Ltd, headed by Professor Vainstain, Dr. of Chemistry, the author of the development in the field of slow oxidation technology. The author and his colleagues have numerous publications in national and foreign journals and magazines, as well as inventions on the Project theme. (A.c. of the USSR N 1442910, a.c. of the USSR N 1691730, patent of RF N 2112153).
The Project suggests development of waste destruction conditions selection, principles and methods, e.g., material heating speed. Specifically, a laboratory device for evaluation of these conditions and study of oxidation kinetics will be created.
The conditions of oxidation are suggested to neglect intermolecular effect. The Project will realize the study of two extremes:
a) fast heating (of the system) up to the near-existence boundary temperature of substance in condensed phase (“spinodal” temperature); the process of this type is efficient for polymer-containing waste destruction;
b) slow heating – for low-molecular compounds-containing waste destruction.
The advantage of slow oxidation with negligible intermolecular interaction is in practical absence of harmful compounds in oxidation products and maximum oxidation level.
In principle, the developed slow oxidation technology is applicable to any organic and hetero-organic compounds.
Objectives of the Project.
To specify the subject of the development for potential customers and investors – collaborators and practical tasks, the Project plans creation and industrial testing of units for the variety of widely used specific types of materials and waste.
Aromatic halides posing major problems for destruction:
1. Sovtol (technical name) – high temperature lubricant (oil) based on two and three halides. The problem of waste and non-used excess oils destruction is highly urgent. An industrial plant (attachment) to blast furnace N 2 (for waste gases) for Sovtol destruction developed by ‘Mangust” Company, has been operating successfully at Novo-Lipetsk metallurgical integrated works (Lipetsk, Russia) with the output of 1 ton a day since 1998. Reaction products containing СО2, Н2О and N2 are practically harmless.
2. Siloxanes - silicon-containing compounds. These substances are used for rubber (siloxane rubber) production.
3. Organic waste of medical institutions – clinics, hospitals, sanatoria, etc. – uniform, linen, bandages, wads, cotton, paper, plastic syringes, liquids and other materials not to be utilized in accordance with the legislation and must be destructed.
4. Vessels, packing, bottles of polyethylene-terephtalate.
5. Products of polyvinilchloride (PVC) and other polymeric compounds, including linoleum, wire sheathing, etc.
The kind of the material to be destructed is offered by the Customer (consumer).
To meet the ecology requirements the process is conducted in the closed system, the reaction products are not released until the process is not completed. The plant contain two main units – a heating chamber for the destructed material heating and an oxidation chamber.
- definition of the dependence of reaction ability from intermolecular action changes and chain flexibility;
- development of the theory of spinodal explosion of chain molecules.
- development of the methods of polymeric compounds destruction in conditions when intermolecular action is less than is required for their keeping in the volume or at the surface;
- development of polymeric and heterorganic compounds low temperature oxidation method;
- development of the experimental unit for realization of the mentioned methods, a search for the potentialities of the usage of this unit in combination with ecologically pure energy sources, wind power stations, for example.
Main difference from the available developments.
Realization of the project will make it possible to solve one of the main ecological problems – destruction of toxic waste and materials without harmful derivatives on the base of ecologically pure energy sources, it will also open up fresh opportunities for highly profitable business.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.