Surface Strengthening Using Electron Beams
The Surface Strengthening of Industrial Materials by a Strong Electron Beam in Atmosphere
Tech Area / Field
- MAT-SYN/Materials Synthesis and Processing/Materials
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Karabashev S G
Keldysh Research Center, Russia, Moscow
- Sandia National Laboratories, USA, NM, Albuquerque
Project summaryThe goal of this project is the development of methods of using concentrated electron beam at atmosphere for the surface strengthening of industrial materials. The advantage of out-of-vacuum technology in comparison with laser one is its high productivity and economic efficiency. Moreover, electron beam technology has such advantages as tractable beam parameters, the possibility of process automation, that make possible developing general purpose equipment for wide range of products. We propose to use strong electron beam injected into, atmosphere through the system of vac-locks for the study of surface strengthening of materials. This beam has unique parameters: electron energy up to 100 keV, output power - 35 kW. Several experiments on strengthening of materials have already been conducted on existing equipment and have shown promising results.
The following results can be expected:
- data on changing of surface properties of wide range of materials which require high strength, hardness and wearlessness by exposure of strong electron beam as the result of realization of the following processes: hardening of the surface layer, alloying, facing, processing of preliminary applied facing; high speed surface melting for the hardening from liquid state; high and super-high speed melting and crystallization causing amorphisation of near-surface layer;
- data on methods application on the samples of real industrial unit parts with the testing on real improvement of their parameters - service life increase, widening of application range etc;
- modernization of existing facilities for higher stability of electron beam parameters, processing of products with various shapes and sizes, high productivity, wider range of beam parameters.
The realisation and subsequent implementation of the project are expected to bring the economic and commercial benefits as the result of the increase of service life of different products and the improvement of their reliability, the replacement of expensive materials by cheaper ones with improved characteristics, creation of new materials with new properties etc.