RF Excited Waveguide CO Laser
Tech Area / Field
- PHY-OPL/Optics and Lasers/Physics
3 Approved without Funding
VNIIEF, Russia, N. Novgorod reg., Sarov
- FIAN Lebedev, Russia, Moscow
- Ruhr Universität Bochum, Germany, Bochum\nInstituto Nazionale di Ottica, Italy, Florence
Project summaryThe proposed project is designed for comprehensive research of the energy and resource characteristics of wave guide slab CO lasers with radio frequency (RF). Excitation of operation mixture with power radiation level from unities to tens of Watt. The spectral range 4.8...8.2 mm allows us to use them successfully in scientific researches, spectroscopy, environmental pollution control, and technology and medicine . Thanks to the twice as good diffraction radiation pergence and the half wavelength, having high efficient adaptable light guides to transfer the radiation at small losses, these lasers have some advantages over CO2 lasers, similar in radiation power.
In spite of appearance on the market the first specimens of commercial CO lasers with RF excitation, there is a lot of unsolved research and design problems. They take into account their specificity toward CO2 lasers:
- the development of technical solutions, which provide high efficiency and the required resource of laser operation;
- the investigation and selection of construction materials, which provide the required resource of laser operation;
- the plasmochemical reaction research at RF discharge plasma at high specific energy contributions;
- the investigation of discharge characteristics in slab RF excited CO laser;
- development of efficient resonator schemes for slab laser;
- the investigation of the possibility to increase the efficiency and the operating resource of slab CO lasers with RF excitation at the expense of different catalyst and getter usage.
The aim of proposed project is the comprehensive research of the energy and resource characteristics of waveguide, slab CO lasers with RF excitation and development of specifications to the small-sized high-efficient long life CO laser construction.
The following results are expected after the present Project realization:
- the waveguide slab RF excited СО-laser mock-up will be developed, manufactured and researched by different methods, its characteristics are as follows:
- radiation power, not less then 10 W;
- diffraction-limited pergence;
- service - life, not less then 500 hours;
- there will be developed and researched highly efficient waveguide - unstable resonator schemes for slab CO - lasers;
- there will be researched the electric characteristics of the RF discharge plasma of the slab CO - laser and developed the efficient schemes of RF pumping source -discharge channel impedance coordination;
- there will be researched the maximum attainable specific power characteristics of the RF excited slab CO - laser;
- there will be performed a lifetime test of the slab RF excited CO - laser mock-up and will be carried out recommendations for the lifetime increase; 4 according to the test results there will be issued the final scientific - technical report with these results, summarized, analyzed and the specifications worked out for the efficient waveguide RF excited slab CO - laser design.
Russian Federal Nuclear Center VNIIEF and Physical Institute of Russian Academy of Science have a great experience in development and research of the different types of lasers including CO lasers [2,5,6,8,9], waveguide slab CO2 lasers with RF excitation [4,7,10,11]. They have unique procedures of laser active medium researches (for example, "laser spectrograph" method ). There is necessary equipment for the performance of the investigations and highly skilled personnel. So there are all conditions and opportunities to solve the problems in hand and to achieve the purpose of the project by joint efforts of Russian Federal Nuclear Center - VNIIEF and Physical Institute of Russian Academy of Science.
The given project completely meets the purposes of International Science and Technology Center (ISTC):
- this is up-date physical-technical development with prospect of it's successful industrially use;
- this development promotes the conversion processes in organizations, which took part in military investigations and it involves Russian scientists and engineers, connected with development and construction of weapons, including the nuclear one, into the international science community;
- this is a participation in the project of the science expert, who has the special qualification in the branch of lasers industrial production;
- the scientific results received in the process of carrying out the project can be used by participants of the project for continuation of their cooperation.
It is supposed that foreign collaborators, who are the leading world specialists in the branch of RF excited molecular lasers research and development, will take part in the project. The role of the foreign partners will be in scientific consultations, participation in seminars and joint discussion of intermediate and final results of researches.
1. Alejnikov V.S., Masychev V.I. Lazery na okisi ugleroda (Moskwa, Radio I swyas',1990).
2. W.Y.Witteman, V.N.Ochkin. Gas Lasers-Recent Developments and Future Prospects. (Kluwer Academic Publishers, Netherlands, 1996).
3. A.A.Adamenkov, V.V.Buzoverya, Yu.N.Bulkin. Kvantovaya electronika (Moscow), 22, 29, (1995) [ Quantum Electronics, 25, 23, 1995].
4. Berezkin, A.G. Bogdanovich, V.V.Buzoverya, K.N. Vasiliev, N.G. Kozhuhar, Yu.V. Kolobyanin. Lazernyi skalpel na osnove volnovodnogo CO2-lazera./ Tezisy doklada na V Mezhdunarodnoi konferencii "Lazernye technologii '95", Shatura, 23 iyunya 1995.
5. I.V.Dubrovina, V.N.Ochkin, N.N.Sobolev. Kvantovaya electronika (Moscow), 1, 1851, 1974.
6. Trubacheev E.A. Izuchenie fiziko-himicheskih svojstv plasmy CO-lazera. (Trudy FIAN, 102, 1977).
7. V.N.Ochkin. Upravlenie spektrami molekulyarnyh lazerov. (Trudy FIAN, 221, 1992).
8. Kun, V.G. Leont'ev, M.Z. Novgorodov, V.N. Ochkin, V.A. Stepanov and E.F. Shishkanov. A Compact Gap Single-Mode Radio-Frequency Excited Laser with A Hybrid Unstable and Waveguide Cavity. XXII Conference on Phenomena in Ionized Gases, Contributed Papars 3 Wednesday, August 2nd, 1995, pp. 67-68.
9. Leont'ev, E.F. Shishkanov. Outlook on An Unstable-Waveguide Cavity Usage in Gas Lasers. SPIE, v. 2773, p. 16-22 (1995).
10. Avdonkin, V.G. Leontiev, A.Ya. Payurov, E.F. Shishkanov. Patent RF №2012112, Byulleten izobretenii №8 ot 30.04.94 g.
11. Leontiev, M.Z. Novgorodov, V.N. Ochkin, E.F. Shishkanov. Zayavka na patent RF №95119245/25 (033857) ot 15.11.95 g., polozhitelnoe reshenie о vydache Patenta RF ot 26.04.96 g.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.