Technical Appliances and Technology on the Base of Metal Hydrides
Tech Area / Field
- MAT-SYN/Materials Synthesis and Processing/Materials
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Novozhilov V V
NPO Lutch, Russia, Moscow reg., Podolsk
- Agency for Industrial Science and Technology, Japan, Tokyo\nNEDO, Japan, Tokyo
Project summaryThe Research and Development Works (R&DW) to be carried out during the Project execution includes the following main scientific and engineering tasks.
Theoretical, computational and experimental study of relations between structural, thermodynamic and other properties of initial components and their alloys on the one hand and behavior of "metal-hydride" ("Me-H") systems on the other hand, and search of possibilities to develop alloys with predetermined properties of their hydrides on the base of characteristics of initial components for industrial applications.
The set of applied tasks involving designing, development of technology for manufacture and methods for testing of ecological pure apparatus on the base of metal hydrides, separate parts, units and materials having a main goal - to develop efficient devices for industrial and domestic applications such as hydride heat pumps (heat converters) generating cold and/or heat (HHP), electrodes for high efficiency chemical current sources (CCS), hydrogen and its isotopes absorbers and sources, etc.
Hydrogen compounds, i.e. hydrides of intermetallic compounds with AB, AB2, AB5-type structures of Laves' phases, e.g. ZrMn, TiFe2, LaNi5, where A is a hydride forming metal, В is a metal or combination of metals that allows to affect hydride properties, e.g. LaNi4.5Al0.5Тi0.98Zr0.02Fe0.6Mn1.4Cr0.05 as well as other types of alloys will be the object, of investigations. Materials and technical devices developed using the effects accompanying interaction of metals and alloys with hydrogen or resulting from such an interaction will also be the subjects of investigations and developments.
Accumulation of information and development of computer databases, covering properties of initial components and their Alloys, features of "Me-H"–systems will be the results of such investigation.
As a practical result of R&DW will be simultaneous designing and manufacture test samples oЈ experimental installations and their testing:
- refrigerating chamber with operation temperature –2…+4 °С and energy supply source with temperatures less than 150 °C;
- refrigerating chamber with operation temperature –2…+4 °C supplied by source with temperature less than 85 °C (waste heat, e.g. as hot water);
- refrigerating chamber with operation temperature –2…+4 °C operating due to natural temperature difference under conditions of hot climate (solar heat on the one side and temperature of soil on the other side);
- water heater or steam boiler with operation temperature 110-120 °C supplied by source with temperature 85-90 °C.
The final result of the Project should be determination of the place of HHP in systems for cold (primarily) and heat generation, the prospects of this method of energy conversion and preparation of proposals for mass-production of HHP.
The scope of works covered by the Project includes:
- investigation of physical and chemical properties of initial components, alloys and metal hydrides;
- development of simulation methods for adequate description of “Me-H”–systems behavior in the HHP;
- development of designing principles of the efficient HHP;
- development of technology for manufacture of necessary materials;
- estimation of HHP efficiency and their place in hydrogen energy, marketing and searching of the most suitable fields of HHP applications.
The proposed Project is in accordance with the goal of ISTC because it not only draws scientists and engineers involved earlier in the development of armements into a peaceful production, but the results of its fulfillment should contribute the solution of environmental protection problems, development of ecological pure techniques and devices for producing and saving of energy due to the using of secondary energy sources, including waste heat.