Melting Metals Wastes
Mastering the Process and Equipment for Induction-Slag Melting High Activity Level Metal Wastes
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-RWT/Radioactive Waste Treatment/Environment
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
All-Russian Scientific Research Institute of Non-Organic Materials named after A. Bochvar, Russia, Moscow
- Power Reactor and Nuclear Fuel Development Corporation (PNC), Japan, Tokyo
Project summaryGoals, Technical Approach and Anticipated Results
For conditioning metal waste arising from spent nuclear fuel reprocessing for long-term storage and final disposal the process of induction slag melting in furnaces with a «cold» crucible (ISMW-CC process) is considered most promising in view of its technical and economic parameters.
This process involves chopped fuel claddings and FA end pieces melting in an induction furnace with a cold crucible in presence of a salt flux, producing a monolith ingot of a decontaminated metal suitable for disposal, reprocessing and disposal of a resultant slag as a glass log containing the main mass of long-lived radionuclides (Pu, U, Cs, Sr, Ru).
In the framework of ISTC project N 143-94 at VNIINM the work has been under way from 01.10.94 to 30.09.97 to investigate the «ISMW-CC» process on a laboratory scale. The new project is a logic continuation of the work on project N 143-94; its goal is to master the «ISMW-CC» process on a larger scale using the demonstration facility and to carry out tests under conditions approaching the operating ones at a radiochemical plant.
The following scientific and technical objectives will be implemented in the course of this project:
- optimization of the process electrotechnical and technological parameters to produce semi-commercial ingots;
- mastering the methods and means of removing resultant ingots from the crucible, collection and reprocessing of the arising slag;
- mastering the methods and means of the remote control and management of the «ISMW-CC» process;
- development of a project of equipment arrangement and instrumentation – process flow outline of the «ISMW-CC» process at a radiochemical plant.
The implementation of the project will result in determining the technological parameters of the «ISMW-CC» process, mastering the units, mechanisms and systems of the equipment as applied to the operating conditions at the RT plants (Russia) and the PNC corporation (Japan).
The expediency of the implementation of this project as a continuation of Project N 143-94 was corroborated by the PNC corporation (Japan) that funds the work relevant to HALW reprocessing (see the PNC fax of 04.06.1996).