Development of Magnet-Separation Nano-Technology for the Purification of Chemical and Radiation Contaminations, Using Sorbents on the Basis of Magnet-Active Nano-Sized Particles and Humic Substances or Their Derivatives
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-APC/Air Pollution and Control/Environment
- ENV-RED/Remediation and Decontamination/Environment
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Ryzhova T B
National Academy of Sciences of Kyrgyzstan / Institute of Chemistry and Chemical Technology, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
- JSC Biochimmash, Russia, Moscow
- Forschungszentrum für Umwelt und Gesundheit GmbH (GSF) / Institut fur Okologische Chemie, Germany, Neuherberg\nCranfield University / School of Industrial and Manufacturing Science, UK, Beds, Cranfield
Project summaryProject is focused on the development of new nano-technologies in the area of environmental protection and the solution of technogenic problems – rehabilitation of the contaminated territories.
The most efficient way of binding exo-toxicants of different chemical origin with radio-nuclides is to use the selective sorbents. For the development of the sorbents with the indicated characteristics it seems rather prospective to use the humic substances (HS) and their derivatives owing to their multi-functionality and high complex-forming ability. Prospects for using HS and their derivatives in practice as ecologically safe natural sorbents are determined by great resources of humus-containing materials, such as brown coal, peat, sapropel, etc.
Goal of the project is the creation of the efficient sorbents on the basis of modified HS, introduced in them by special method and chemically bound magnet-active nano-particles. Such magnet-active conglomerate – contaminant –sorbent is removed from soil or soil wastes and is transported by using the technique of magnet-gravitational separation.
In order to attain the goal set it is necessary to solve the following tasks:
- To develop the methods for the production of macro-molecular metal-complexes on the basis of HS and their derivatives.
- To characterize of the structure and physicochemical properties of HS and metal complexes on the their base.
- To find the convenient and scientifically validated approaches for the production of magnet-active nano-hybrid composite from native and modified humic acids and their derivatives and magnetite (ferrite).
- To characterize granulometric composition, dispersity, porosity and density of the producing magnet-active nano-hybrid sorbents, sizes of magnet-active nano-particles and their distribution.
- To study and optimize magnet characteristics of the produced magnet-active nano-hybrid sorbents.
- To reveal detoxicating properties of the produced magnet-active nano-bio-hybrid sorbents with respect to model exo-toxicants.
- To obtain results of laboratory studies on detoxification of soil contamination by means of magnet-active nano-hybrid sorbent, of the extraction and holding magnet-active conglomerate – contaminant-sorbent by outer magnet field.
- To develop of optimal technology to produce magnet-active nano-hybrid polymeric sorbents.
The proposed development has no analogs in the world. The novelty is in the application of unique method of nano-technology for the decontamination and utilization of chemical and radiochemical pollutions. It is important to note that process does not demand expensive reactants, it is carried out on the standard equipment and there is no necessity for design the new equipment and creation new technologies.