Safety Evaluation for Shallow Waste Repositories
Development of Methodological Bases of an Evaluation of Safety of an Environment in Conditions of Productions Operation on a Storage and Disposal of Radioactive Wastes in Shallow Ground Repositories
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-WDS/Waste Disposal/Environment
- ENV-MRA/Modelling and Risk Assessment/Environment
3 Approved without Funding
NPO Radon (2), Russia, Moscow
- Karpov Institute of Physical Chemistry, Russia, Moscow
- SCK-CEN, Belgium, Mol\nLos-Alamos National Laboratory, USA, NM, Los-Alamos\nInternational Technologies, USA, TN, Oak Ridge\nIdaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory, USA, ID, Idaho Falls
Project summaryThe purpose of the prospective project is the development conceptual - theoretical bases and methodologies of quantitative valuations of environmental safety under conditions of productions operation on a storage and disposal of radioactive wastes in shallow ground repositories.
The technical approach and methodology of an object reaching in view are based on complex use of mathematical simulation methods, laboratory and full-scale experiments.
In the project it is supposed to investigate a problem on properties and performances of a protective physical barriers complex ensuring safety of defended object. The novelty of the project that for the first time is considered, alongside with hardware of a called complex, it an information part, what the radiation monitoring system is.
Dignity of the developed approaches is the possibility of the substantiation of performances and numerical significance of parameters of protective barriers systems with the purpose of fulfillment by them of required functions on a safety of defended object, in particular, environmental safety of and population.
Distinctive feature of the project is that in it is used:
- Systematically technical analysis for research of a complex on a storage and disposal of radioactive wastes;
- Methods of the reliability theory for the analysis of operation of the protective barriers systems;
- Theoretically information approach for the serviceability analysis of an information part of protective barriers system.
The expected results consist in the following:
In a realization result of the project the packet of the methodical recommendations and programs for the users permitting will be created:
· Because of data on performances both parameters of protective envelopes systems and elements to predict serviceability of a complex on a disposal of radioactive wastes;
· To make the comparative analysis and evaluation of various systems ensuring safety of objects data;
· Is reasonable to select parameters of a system of radiation monitoring;
· To minimize radiation risk because of correct choice of the test objective level value of radioactive contamination;
· To increase culture of safety in organizations and at the enterprises of a nuclear industry.
The economic benefit of the project results application is seen in purposeful improving of protective envelopes systems because of revealing of the weakest places in the protective system. The social effect consists of methodological security of the arguments for degree substantiation of environmental safety and population under conditions of productions operation on conditioning radioactive wastes. Besides the common culture of safety for operation radiation-dangerous of objects is increased, as the work results will allow deeper to understand that such safety and as is possible to control it. The economic benefit can be amplified by introduction and distribution of research results for an operation evaluation of protection systems and signaling system.
Potential role foreign partners:
Per the last years we have contacts to the representatives of a number of foreign organizations occupied with development of methods of the radioactive waste management including safety methods for storage and disposal of radioactive wastes. All of them stated interest to our work and can be the potential foreign partners for want of fulfillment of the given project. Them can be:
· Firm Foster Wheeler Environmental Corporation, Technology Park 302 Research Drive, Norcross, GA 30092-2925.
· Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM 87545, USA.
· Firm Bartlett Services Inc., 60 Industrial Park Road, Plymouth, MA OZ 360.
· Firm Studsvik RadWaste AB, S-611 82 Nikoping, Sweden.
· The company Ontario Hydro, 800 Ripling Avenue, KJ 105 Toronto, Ontario M8Z5S, Canada.
The work of the employees above the project will promote further researches development in the field of safety problem solving of a disposal of radioactive wastes, creation of evaluation modern methods of operation safety for shallow ground repositories of radioactive wastes. The positive solution under the project will good stimulus on participation of the employees in the various international programs and will to promote transition them to market economy.