Glassy Environmentally Friendly Fertilizers of Prolonged Action
Tech Area / Field
8 Project completed
Senior Project Manager
Vavilov State Optical Institute (GOI) / Research and Technological Institute of Optical Materials, Russia, St Petersburg
- Closed Corporation "AGROVIT", Russia, St Petersburg
- Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena / Otto-Schott-Institute für Glaschemie, Germany, Jena\nFriedrich-Schiller-Universitat / Institut fur Technische Chemie und Umweltchemie, Germany, Jena\nQueen's University of Belfast / School of Civil Engineering, UK, Belfast\nInstitute of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science, Germany, Braunschweig\nUniversite de La Rochelle, France, La Rochelle\nInstitute for Technical Chemistry and Macromolecular Chemistry, Germany, Aachen
Industrial environmental impact causes partial or total infringement of the conditions of natural agrobiosystems entailing irreplaceable damage to the environment within the framework of traditional approaches to land tenure. Thus, the problem of restoration of damaged ecosystems is of special importance. Conventional technologies of ground cultivation have a series of basic disadvantages connected with the polycrystalline structure of brought-in fertilizers. In particular, they are quickly washed out and weathered that leads to environmental pollution including ground and underground water areas. Besides, the composition of fertilizers does not guarantee high-grade feeding of plants.
To avoid the above-mentioned disadvantages, the applicants elaborated an essentially new type of combined glassy granular fertilizers of prolonged action. The fertilizers are characterized by a whole set of controlled parameters and advantages unattainable for traditional land tenure:
– variable rate of output of necessary nutritious substances in a water-soluble phase depending on humidity, temperature, season, amount of precipitation and soils type;
– increased duration of the fertilizer action in a soil up to 2.5-3 years;
– increased (not less than 90 %) ratio of utilizing useful substances by plants;
– usage of the fertilizer as a carrier of immobilized active micro flora for microbiological and biological restoration of damaged agrobiological systems.
Goal of the project:
– design of materials, equipment, and technology for production of environmentally friendly glass fertilizers of prolonged action. The fertilizers will contain bacteria strains stimulating restoration and increasing soil productivity;
– elaboration of technology of biological and microbiological restoration of agrobiocenosis on the territories of former coal quarries and mines.
Tasks and methods:
– study of relationships between composition, structure, and kinetics of dissolution of phosphate glasses in water by means of a set of structure sensitive spectral optical measurements. Formulation of the principles for choosing glasses with a given dissolution kinetics;
– investigation of soils samples from damaged areas in Europe. Accumulation of analytical data about composition of soil micro flora. Optimization of compositions of mineral glassy fertilizers on the basis of soil analysis;
– physical and physic-chemical studies of micro inhomogeneous structure and kinetics of phase decomposition of phosphate glasses as a function of their composition. Elaboration of procedure to form micro porous glass granules;
– optimization of compositions of glassy porous granules for immobilizing micro biological cultures. Selection of the best preparative forms, working out technology for their formation and application. Determination of the optimum assortment of species for biological restoration of European territories;
– development of combined biotechnology for the restoration of the soils of European countries that includes the usage of a set of glassy fertilizers and biopreparations on the basis of strains destroying xenobiotics, determination and application of specially selected plant associations, working out an assortment of the most labile kinds of plants for various pollution.
Main difference from existing approaches:
– scientific novelty: application of soluble inorganic glasses as an environmentally friendly fertilizers of prolonged action;
– solution of the ecological problem as a whole: the applicants propose to develop technology ensuring not only clearing of polluted soils and water areas (including underground) but also return of damaged objects of nature to full agrobiocenotic functioning.