Revegetation of Disturbed Lands
Development of the Technologies and Biopreparations for Revegetation and Remediation of Technogenically and Anthropogenically Disturbed Lands
Tech Area / Field
3 Approved without Funding
Kyrgyz Research Institute of Livestock, Veterinary and Pastures, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
- JSC Biochimmash, Russia, Moscow
- University of Saskatchewan / Department of Soil Science, Canada, SK, Saskatoon\nMicrogen Laboratories, USA, TX, La Marque
Project summaryGoal of the Project is to develop of technologу of revegetation and remediation of technogenically and anthropogenically disturbed lands of Kyrgyz Republic with us of biopreparations and remediating plants.
It is very actual for Kyrgyz Republic.
Kyrgyz Republic is referred to the regions where the process of intensive soil degradation takes place. 88% of 10.047 million hectares of agricultural lands are found to be degraded. The deficiency of ploughed field increased twice, cropland area per capita reduced. Many factors account for soil degradation including changes in climate, imperfection of agriculture technologies applied, growth of extractive and oil processing industries. Contamination and cluttering up of soil-vegetative covering not only excludes considerable areas from agricultural land-use but also aggravates the ecological situation. Thus, only over a period from 1998 to 2004 as much as 46.5 thousand hectares were excluded from agriculture in Kyrgyz Republic.
Urgent necessity to liquidate these contaminators and disastrous deterioration of the ecological situation on the whole impel to search and develop new technologies for revegetation and remediation of the lost lands. That is why the issue of revegetation and remediation of disturbed lands is of current concern. In Kyrgyz Republic, Russia and abroad the great efforts are focused on research and development concerning effective novel technologies for revegetation and remediation of disturbed lands.
A role of plants in rehabilitation of soil continuum is very important. For example, Lucerne (Medicago sativa) in combination with microorganisms is able to reduce the content of oil wastes in soil by 75%. Moreover, it was found that some plants are able to accumulate heavy metals.
So, the relevance of this Project appears to be evident.
We suggest to solve a problem by use of concrete biological products, the biofertilizers received on a basis of strains agriculturally microorganisms, and also remediating plants:
- biofungicide "Lutan", developed under the project ISTC # 1985;
- bioinsecticides: Bicol and Baxin;
- biofertilizer - biological products: Bactophosphin and Azotovit;
- immunomodulator on a basis of phytohormones, preparation "Nikfan".
In the course of the Project implementation the described ecological tension will be reduced from the moment the revegetation is begun. This leads to purification of the air. Destruction of xenobiotics and restoration of soil by means of the introduced composition of microorganisms and plants become the basis of sound soil biocenosis formation.
The Project work comprises the set of experimental and theoretical researches, analysis and implementation of the technological solutions to provide:
- Development of a composition of the above-stated biological products
- Elaboration of the procedures and parameters for producing the commodity forms of the biopreparations.
- Examination of purple medic (Medicago sativa) for remediation ability and elaboration of the technology for their application with biopreparations.
- Study of the revegetation and remediation dynamics (using the model samples of disturbed lands) under phytotron.
- Elaboration of process charts for revegetation and remediation using the developed method.