Digitization of Historical Nuclear Explosion Seismograms
Digitization of Historical Nuclear Explosion Seismograms from the former Soviet Union and Central Asia Recorded at the Kyrgyzstan Stations
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-MRA/Modelling and Risk Assessment/Environment
- ENV-SEM/Seismic Monitoring/Environment
3 Approved without Funding
Institute of Seismology, NAS, Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek
- NORSAR, Norway, Kjeller
Project summaryThe main purpose of the project is creation of a database of digitized seismograms of nuclear explosions carried out in territory of the USSR and the Central Asia countries in the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT) support. For the successful realization of the set objectives the project envisages fulfilling the following tasks:
1. Digitization analogue seismograms of nuclear explosions, strong chemical explosions, as well as earthquakes from the test sites zone. Creation a database of digitized analogue seismograms in CSS3.0 format.
2. Creation a database of scanned analogue seismograms of nuclear explosions, strong chemical explosions, as well as earthquakes from zone of test sites.
3. Creation an e-archive of arrival times of the main regional phases of nuclear and strong chemical explosions.
4. Construction a deep profiles of the structure of shear waves attenuation field in the area of KRNET stations for identification of efficient sites according to the problem of seismic discrimination.
The information obtained during realization of the project will sheared with all interested bodies through a project website. This project will provide weapon scientists and engineers by opportunities to redirect their knowledge and skills to peaceful activities.