Structural-matrix models for Rolling
Development of Structural-Matrix Models for Section and Bar Rolling with Purpose of Increasing Product Quality and Economy of Production
Tech Area / Field
- INF-SOF/Software/Information and Communications
- MAN-PDM/Plant Design and Maintenance/Manufacturing Technology
- MAT-ALL/High Performance Metals and Alloys/Materials
3 Approved without Funding
MISIS (Steel and Alloys), Russia, Moscow
- NIKIMT (Institute of Assembly Technology), Russia, Moscow
- Morgan Construction Company, USA, MA, Worcester\nALSTOM Power Conversion, Germany, Berlin
Project summaryThe purpose of the project: a heightening technological and economic efficiency of production processes of long products, namely magnification of a runout of suitable roll stock, security of stability of rolling processes, improvement in quality of long products (blanket and special) and lowering of production costs.
The modern condition of rolling production is interlinked to a problem of a choice of effective roll pass design, parameters of equipment and technology, and also rational set up and adjust modes of long product rolling processes in concrete fast varying requirements.
In modern requirements the solution of these problems is impossible without a technological and control solutions on a base of operative simulation and assaying of technological processes in different areas of engineering, and first of all during a metal forming.
The existing digital models, founded, as a rule, on application of finite element methods allow to discover solutions of many problems in these areas, but requiring huge expenditures of time for opening-up and performance of computational procedures.
The offered approach allows to create and to use fast adaptive models of long product rolling possessing a high exactitude, flexibility and reliability. As contrasted to by known methods it allows on two orders to increase speed of simulation and to work out solutions, which at once can be used for adjusting and perfecting of long product rolling modes.
The urgency of the given approach in technologies of treatment of materials is obvious to fast flowing past processes with continuous and non-continuous materials, in particular by producing a long products and wire rod, where any unfounded technological solution leads to losses of hundreds and thousand tons of metal, degradation and aggravation of economic indexes of manufacture.
The methodology of the offered approach grounded on application of a structural - matrix method for universal exposition of parameters of a material, equipment and technology, and also their modifications during rolling.
The virtue of the offered approach from the technological point of view consists in a possibility of use of technological redundancies for an improvement in quality of production and improving of equipment maintenance.
The possibilities of the offered approach from the economic point of view consist in lowering production costs at the expense of rational use of equipment and heightening of an economic efficiency at the expense of an improvement in quality of production and mastering of manufacture of new rolled long products.
The base complex of adaptive mathematical models, algorithms, procedures both software for a fast and effective solution of practical problems of calculation, assaying and perfecting of metal deformation processes, and also running of process of a metal forming in section and wire rod rolling with the purpose of a heightening of effectiveness of a rolling-mill practice, lowering energy loses and heightening of finished sections quality.
Parallel problem is the development of procedures and recommendations for application of the structural - matrix approach in other technical areas and problems.
The base mathematical method is the structural-matrix approach, for which the base principles permitting to model technological processes in different areas of engineering designed. The practical application of the given approach will be designed for processes of rolling of simple and flange sections from mono- and composite metals. The structural - matrix approach allows by development of a base mathematical model of rolling processes to adapt the given model for concrete technological processes (rolling mills) and aspects of solved problems (projection, assaying and perfecting, and also running). For development of application models holding mathematical simulation of processes on a base of structural matrixes, multivariate computer simulation of technological conditions in different processes of section rolling and wire rod rolling, statistical explorations of a great many of experimental data (under production conditions and during laboratory experiments), development of the methodology and software for a solution of application problems in section rolling area.
The explorations guess development of a blanket mathematical model of section and wire rod rolling search problem is the development on a base of original structural - matrix approach of a co processes for the simple and complex sections from mono- and composite metals, and also methodology of adaptation to the concrete roll pass designs and processes of rolling, irrespective of their complexity. On a base of a blanket model is recognized schedule to develop a complex of criteria for use at the assaying of rolling processes and running by them.
On a base of theoretical and experimental explorations is recognized schedule development of universal procedures and software for:
- calculations of roll pass design and parameters of deformation during a rolling;
- assaying and perfecting of operating roll pass designs and processes of section rolling;
- estimation of energy loses in section rolling processes;
- running of a metal forming and adjustment of rolling mills in real-time mode.
All designed procedures and software will allow to realize projection of rolling schedules, express train the assaying of rolling technology variants, searching and elimination of "bottle necks", and also to solve problems of running and adjusting of mills.
At application of outcomes in the practical purposes the following is ensured:
- the universal shaping of industrial electronic databases about roll pass designs with calibers of any complexity and any (not sample) elements of grooves for consequent computer treatment, that does not allow any of known procedures;
- fast calculation of parameters of roll passes and grooves and deformation of metal with high reliability without application of the composite and unproductive software packages using a finite element method;
- an effective rapid determination of technological variants and roll pass designs with searching "bottle necks" and reasons aggravating maintenance of roll pass design in concrete requirements;
- fast and effective perfecting of rolling processes and roll pass designs on anyone mills, using for rolling of sections and wire rod;
- running of adjustment mills in a real-time in interaction with existing systems of tracing and running.
In outcome, by development and perfecting of master schedules of section rolling;
- the expenditures of time on development of roll pass designs are reduced;
- the process of perfecting of a technology becomes simpler during mastering and reconstruction of mills;
- the effectiveness of accepted engineering and technological solutions raises.
At maintenance of section mills and wire rod mills:
- the exactitude of section rolling raises;
- the energy loses on process of rolling are optimized;
- the effectiveness and stability of a rolling process raises;
- the time to adjust of a mill is reduced and the effectiveness of methods of adjustment in different technological situations (in case of variations of technological parameters and parameters of the equipment).
From the economic point of view:
- the production costs are reduced at the expense of a roll wear decrease;
- the fraction of roll stock with rejections on geometry is reduced on 60-70% and the runout of qualitative roll product sell for higher price raises;
- the profit of long product manufacture for the score of more effective mastering of new types of long products raises;
- reduction of the pays off period for new roll pass designs
Mostly all the metallurgical plants will be potential users of the Project results. That is why the Project founds a basis for the next commercialization of the results. It is confirmed by letter of JSC “Magnitogorsk Iron and Steel Works” (MMK) one of the leader of Russian metallurgy.
Group of scientists for implementation of this project includes high quality specialists: professors and doctors.
The experience of those who have carried out the project in a particular field gives confidence that the project will be completed in a timely manner at a high scientific and professional level. The project fully meets ISTC goals of redirecting the talents of military scientists toward peaceful aims in science.