Radiation and Mercury Pollutions in Children’s Hospitals
Survey of Radiation and Mercury Levels in Children’s Hospitals of Kazakhstan, Creation of the Database and Elaboration of Guidelines on Maintenance of Safe Sanitary-Hygienic Conditions
Tech Area / Field
- ENV-APC/Air Pollution and Control/Environment
- ENV-EHS/Environmental Health and Safety/Environment
- ENV-MIN/Monitoring and Instrumentation/Environment
- ENV-MRA/Modelling and Risk Assessment/Environment
3 Approved without Funding
Republican Sanitary Epidemiological Station, Kazakstan, Almaty
- National Nuclear Center of the Republic of Kazakstan / Institute of Geophysical Researches, Kazakstan, Kurchatov\nSpeclabpribor A Limited Liability Partnership, Kazakstan, Almaty
- Posh&Partners Consulting Engineers, Austria, Innsbruck
Project summaryIntroduction and Overview
Within the framework of the project it is anticipated carrying out complex survey of radiation and mercury levels in children's hospitals of the Republic of Kazakhstan (RK), computer database design on the basis of available and expected results for development of maintenance of sanitary and hygienic conditions recommendations.
The objective of this research is:
To develop practical recommendations on creating safe sanitary-and-hygienic conditions on ionizing radiation levels and mercury pollution in children’s hospitals in Kazakhstan on the basis of their complex survey for levels of radiation and mercury pollution.
Expected Results and Their Application
- The most complete information on mercury vapors and radon contents and gamma background level in children's hospitals in Republic of Kazakhstan.
- For the first time a unified database on mercury, radon and gamma background levels in children's hospitals will be created in the in Republic of Kazakhstan.
- The personnel of specialized town health services will be trained method and a technique of the survey, measurements results, processing, analysis and visualization of the data using GIS-Technologies
- Will is designed and demonstrated on real object of the contamination new or are advanced known technologies to deactivation and demercurization with provision for specific room condition and material of the contamination.
- The suggestions on arrangement and implementation of necessary actions to maintain safe sanitary-and-hygienic conditions in children's hospitals will be prepared and addressed to the State authorities. During implementation of the suggestions an opportunity arises for weapon scientists to render both scientific and practical assistance to public health services at the stage of control survey and rehabilitation works on contaminated objects.
The International Science and Technology Center (ISTC) is an intergovernmental organization connecting scientists from Kazakhstan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Georgia with their peers and research organizations in the EU, Japan, Republic of Korea, Norway and the United States.
ISTC facilitates international science projects and assists the global scientific and business community to source and engage with CIS and Georgian institutes that develop or possess an excellence of scientific know-how.