Laser for Steel Cutting
Development of Precision laser Steel Sheets Cutting Technology for Manufacturing of ATLAS-Spectrometer Hadron Calorimeter Structure Elements.
Tech Area / Field
- MAN-MPS/Manufacturing, Planning, Processing and Control/Manufacturing Technology
3 Approved without Funding
Joint Institute of Nuclear Research, Russia, Moscow reg., Dubna
- NPO Lutch, Russia, Moscow reg., Podolsk
- CERN, Switzerland, Geneva
Project summaryThis project is oriented on the laser technology development to solve the unique - by its scientific and technological complexity - problem of creating of hadron calorimeter of the ATLAS-detector. It is necessary to develop technology of mass production (~320 thousand pieces) with high quality and precision (100 microns) of steel plates with the thickness 4mm and 5 mm, geometry sizes up to 1600x400 (mm).
For the guaranteed high quality production when massive manufacturing one needs to make the set of research and design works oriented towards the development of laser technology.
Also it is necessary to develop and to construct fully automatic technology line for steel sheets laser cutting based on most modern technological and hard & software control means. This line consists of the next main subsystems:
- Laser cutting complex with coordinate table
- Precision TV-scanner
- Computer for cutting process and ready details quality control
- Automated transport line and storage of ready details and billets
- Central computer to control the technological line and for ready detail pasportization
The creation of metal sheets laser cutting high-duty precision technology and based on it the manufacturing of the ATLAS setup hadron calorimeter main elements will be the main result of the project realization.
The industrial significance of results will consist of significant expansion of laser setups technological opportunities and sufficient reduction of manufacturing costs, leading to expansion of usage area of laser technology in industry.