Biodiversity of Probiotic Microorganisms in Belarus
Biodiversity and Adaptation of Probiotic Microorganisms in Various Regions of Belarus
Tech Area / Field
- BIO-IND/Industrial Biotechnology/Biotechnology
- AGR-FOD/Food & Nutrition/Agriculture
- BIO-SFS/Biosafety and BioSecurity/Biotechnology
3 Approved without Funding
National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Belarus / Institute of Microbiology, Belarus, Minsk
- Institute of Immunological Engineering, Russia, Moscow reg., Lyubuchany
- University College London / Eastman Dental Institute, UK, London\nAnimal Disease Control - Consult, Denmark, Horsholm\nOhio State University / Davis Heart & Lung Research Institute, USA, OH, Columbus\n[Individual specialist]\nLudwik Hirszfeld Institute of Immunology and Experimental Therapy, Poland, Wroclaw\nWarsaw University of Life Sciences / Faculty of Human Nutrition and Consumer Sciences, Poland, Warsaw\nUniverzita Pavla Jozefa Safarika v Kosiciach, Slovakia, Kosice\nTohoku University / Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Japan, Sendai\nImmunoClin Ltd, UK, Bucks, North Dean\nUmveltforschungszentrum Leipzig-Halle GmbH, Germany, Leipzig\nUniversity of Life Sciences in Lublin / Faculty of Food Science and Biotechnology, Poland, Lublin\nUniversity of Ljubljana, Slovenia, Ljublana\nUniversity of Turku / Functional Foods Forum, Finland, Turku\nOhio State University / Department of Internal Medicine, USA, OH, Columbus\nKagawa University / Life Science Research Center, Japan, Kagawa\nUniversity of Food Technologies, Bulgaria, Plovdiv\nCLERICI SACCO, Italy, Cadorago\nRiga Stradins University / Paula Stradina Clinical University Hospital, Latvia, Riga\nNational Research Council Canada / Institute for Biological Sciences, Canada, ON, Ottawa\nPrezedsiebiorstwo Innowacyjno-Wdrozeniowe "Impuls", Poland, Pruszcz-Gdanski\nInstituto Superiore di Sanita, Italy, Rome\nUniversity of Texas / Medical Branch, USA, TX, Galveston\nUniversity of Lund / Center for Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Sweden, Lund\nUniversita Degli Studi di Roma "Tor Vergata" / Dipartimento di Medicina Sperimentale e Scienze Biochimiche, Italy, Rome\nUniversita' Politecnica delle Marche, Italy, Ancona\nUniversità degli Studi di Verona / Dipartimento di Biotecnologie, Italy, Verona\nInstitut Pasteur de Lille, France, Lille\nUniversiteit Leiden / Institute of Environmental Sciences, The Netherlands, Leiden\nRutgers University, USA, NJ, Piscataway\nUniversity of Texas / Health Science Center / MD Anderson Cancer Center, USA, TX, Houston
Project summaryThe project objective – search for lactic acid bacteria strains for development technologies of new generation medical preparations and functional food.
The project prepared in the frame of ISTC Targeted Initiative “Probiotics and Health”.
Statement of a problem: Search and development of new strains of probiotic bacteria that posses unique properties is one of the topical problem that attract more and more attention of specialists in EU countries – Germany, Great Britain, France etc. The commercialization is dealing to progress in new generation of medical preparations and functional food technologies. This problem neither as much actual for Belarus and Russian Federation. Using Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus genus as the basis of biopreparation considered rather promising. Development and the solution of this problem is connected with research of a biopersity and viability of bifidobateria and lactic bacteria in traditional sour-milk food stuffs, allocation new strains - producers of biologically active substances, studying of mechanisms of adaptation of bacteria to influence of extreme physical and chemical factors, and also creation of modern methodology of detection and genetic identification of the these microorganisms. The urgency of a research direction chosen by the belarussian and russian partners is defined by necessity of development of new ecological, biomedical and veterinary technologies of life-support and protection of humans and animals, and closely interconnected with problems of the State program of applied scientific researches or Republic of Belarus “New biotechnologies” and the Federal target program of the Russian Federation “Alive systems”. Research work under the offered project will include carrying out of the problem-focused searching researches and creation of a scientific and technical reserve on development of new technologies with use of bacteria Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus genus.
Influence of the offered project on progress in development area: Development of new preparations on the basis of probiotic microorganisms and secrete biologically active substances is a strategic direction of national policy in many developed countries. Manufacture of probiotics and food stuffs of functional purpose, concerns to hi-tech branches that explains its concentration in industrially developed countries. According to «The Best of Biotech», the market of probiotics in the USA in 2005 has made 565 million dollars, annual growth of this market in the USA makes 7 %. Under forecasts of experts the sales of probiotics in the USA by 2010 will make 1,1 billion dollars. Abroad in the lead positions in the given area borrow research establishments of the states of EU - Germany, the Great Britain, France, etc., and also Japan and the USA. The scientific direction developed in the Project is important for a formulation of the complete concept of a phenomenon of adaptation of bacteria to adverse factors of an environment and expansion of knowledge of biology of microorganisms of Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus genus. The data that will be obtained can form a basis of scientific management of technological processes in which probiotic microorganisms are used. Allocated and studied within the given project cultures of lactic bacteria possessing valuable industrial and probiotic properties, and also producers of biologically active substances, can be a subject of patenting and know-how.
Project participants: Institute of microbiology of National academy of sciences of Belarus, Institute of engineering immunology (Russian Federation). The research collective of Institute of microbiology of National academy of sciences of Belarus has a great operational experience in the field of studying physiological and biochemical properties of bifidobacteria and lactobacilli, creation of a collection of typical and industrial strains of microorganisms, development of new bacterial strains by a method of adaptive selection to biologically important attributes. The scientific stuff from Institute of engineering immunology of the Russian Federation is the leader in the field of isolation and genetic identification of bifidobacteria and lactobacilli, and also possesses wide experience in creation of technology of new probiotic preparations for medicine and veterinary. The executors stuff has the necessary equipment for successful performance of the project.
Expected results: Isolation of bifidobacteria and lactobacilli from the traditional sour-milk food stuffs received from various regions of Belarus, genetic identification of cultures, studying of adaptable potential of the museum and isolated cultures of bacteria, selection to attributes of tolerance to oxygen, extreme values of temperature, рН, etc., updating of funds of the Belarus collection of not pathogenic microorganisms (Object of national property of Belarus) and the Russian collection of microorganisms by new strains of probiotic bacteria with unique properties will be lead.
Application of project results: Commercial results of the project: The collection of lactic cultures strains, with potential opportunities for use in industrial production of sour-milk food stuffs of functional purpose. The strains of lactic bacteria showing potential anti-allergenic activity, for creation of products of the functional food recommended for consumers with atopic diseases, stabilization and correction of human microbic ecology.
Conformity of the project with purposes and problems of ISTC: Performance of the project will promote the solving of the important social problem, namely, granting of scientists and to engineers of Institute of the engineering immunology, worked earlier under the state orders in the field of anti-biological protection, and also opportunities of reorientation of area of their scientific interests and applications of their experience for carrying out fundamental and the applied researches connected with the decision of the international scientific and technical problems in the field of biology, medicine and veterinary science in the peace purposes, creations of long-term prospects of fruitful activity within the international scientific community.
Data about workload: Project tasks: Study of variety of sour-milk products in various regions of Belarus: Studying of a variety of sour-milk products, development of a technique and sampling of sour-milk products, studying of microflora of tests of the selected national sour-milk products, processing of the received data. Identification of allocated isolates of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria: Allocation of cultures of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria from samples of sour-milk products, study of morphological and cultural properties of isolated strains, physiological and biochemical properties of allocated lactobacilli and bifidobacteria, identification of isolates by means of genetic methods at a level of a genus. Specific identification of isolates of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria, study of properties allocated strains: Identification of isolates with use of genetic methods at a level of a species, antagonistic properties of studying strains in relation to pathogenic and opportunistic microorganisms, production of biologically active substances and viability of strains during cryopreservation and freeze-drying, search of effective strain compositions on the basis of allocated isolates.
The technical approach and methodology: For solving objectives put in the Project, use of following base methodology is planned: Classical microbiological methods of identification and an estimation of physiological and biochemical properties of isolates (microscopy, estimation of fermentative activity, studying of ability bacterial strains to sugars decomposition and synthesis of substances, definition of optimum temperature of a fermentation); the genetic, molecularly-biological and analytical methods directed on establishment of exact taxonomic position of studied cultures of bacteria (nucleotide sequencing of DNA, chromosomal and plasmid structures; the analysis of restriction fragments of DNA, electrophoresis, pulse-gel electrophoresis, amplification of genes and fragments of genes by means of polymerase chain reaction (PCR), nucleotide sequencing of genes and fragments of genes with the subsequent phylogenetic analysis).